Origins analysis: Where do I come from?
DNA origins analysis by iGENEA
An iGENEA origins analysis enables you to examine your origins by means of a simple saliva sample. Your Ancient tribe and your region of origin are identified. The test also includes permanent and unlimited access to the world's largest DNA origins analysis database, where you can find relatives previously unknown to you and participate in various projects to research your origins more precisely.
How is my genetic origin interpreted?
A comparison of the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) with DNA of the Y-chromosomes of people of different sections of the population gives us an idea of when and where these sections moved while migrating around the world. Genetic mutations not only mark specific families, but also entire sections of the population. By studying the frequency or occurrence of certain mutations, the complex family tree of humanity can be divided into single branches.
If a section of the population then migrates or lives in geographic isolation for a long period, meaning there is no genetic exchange with other sections, separate patterns of mutation develop. If certain patterns are spread among different peoples, it means they are related. Some patterns occur only in certain peoples, thus making it possible to prove descent from these peoples.
Press reports about the origins analysis of iGENEA
- Knowing our origin with DNA analysis (14.02.2020, ProntoPro)
- Conociendo nuestro origen con el análisis del ADN (14.02.2020, ProntoPro)
- Amixem: Mon test ADN d'origine (15.04.2018, Youtube)
- Ahnenforschung mit Hilfe von DNA-Tests (02.10.2017, Bayerischer Rundfunk)
- Der Bülent Ceylan Gentest auf RTL (01.01.2017, Die Bülent Ceylan Show, RTL)
- Bin ich wirklich Schweizer? (22.10.2015, Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen SRF)
- Hellenic, Viking or Jewish? A Genetic Quest For Our Origins It's in your hands now - igenea (15.12.2013, LE TEMPS - english edition)
- Ich bin mit Ötzi verwandt (12.10.2013, 20 Minuten)
- Every second person from Switzerland has the Pharaoh DNA (10.07.2011, 20 Minuten)
- We have all immigrated at one time or another (31.07.2007, Migrosmagazin, PDF 400KB)
Identification of ancient tribes by iGENEA
By Ancient tribes, we refer to peoples from ancient times who are defined not only by their own language, culture and history, but also by their own DNA profile. An origins analysis by iGENEA determines your Ancient tribe by means of your haplogroup and genetic profile. The result refers roughly to the period between 900 BC and 900 AD.
This is how the DNA origin analysis works
A Mucus Sample suffices to get a sample of your DNA. Taking the sample is simple and painless and can be done at home. Send the samples with the envelop included in the sampling kit.
Lars Mc Murray, Germany
"iGENEA gives you the opportunity to be a distant part of the history you otherwise only read about in books."more about this story
Ralf Moritz, Genealogist from Lower Saxony, Germany
"My ancestral line of the Morrison Clan can be traced back to the Viking era."more about this story