Surname Albersmeier - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'A'
Albersmeier: What does the surname Albersmeier mean?
The last name Albersmeier is a German surname of patronymic origin. It is derived from the given name “Alber” and the suffix “meier”, which is a variant of the occupation title “maier”. The literal meaning of this surname is ‘son of Alber’, indicating it was a name used to mark someone as the son of someone named Alber.
The surname Albersmeier is found mainly in Germany, where it is most common in Bavaria. This suggests the family originated in that region of the country, probably in medieval times. It is likely the family that bore this name were farmers, a profession fit for the people of Bavaria during this period.
The surname Albersmeier has since spread out throughout Europe and it has become fairly common in the United States. It is a testament to the impact the German people have had to the world since they ventured outwards and established themselves in various countries.
Each family that carries this last name is unique in its own way, but it is interesting to note the humble beginnings of this surname. From the occupiers of the Middle Ages who earned its name to the numerous families today who carry the legacy of Albersmaier, it is a testament to the endurance of a people throughout history.Order DNA origin analysis
Albersmeier: Where does the name Albersmeier come from?
The last name Albersmeier is most commonly found in Germany, where it is among the top 500 most common surnames. It is likely to be a regional name, because it is especially prevalent in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia. It is also frequently seen in neighboring states such as Lower Saxony and Hesse. Outside of Germany, Albersmeier is still found in Europe, but in countries where large numbers of German immigrants settled during the 19th and early 20th centuries. This includes Argentina, Chile, and countries in Eastern Europe such as Ukraine, Belarus, and Poland. The surname can also be found in smaller numbers in a few countries in North America, including the United States. Those with the surname Albersmeier likely have an ancestor who came from Germany or from a German-speaking country.
Variations of the surname Albersmeier
The Albersmeier surname has several variant spellings which can be found in records from around the world. These variants include Albersmeier, Albersmyer, Albersmyer, Albersmeir, Albersmayer, Albersmair, Albersmayer, Albersmaier, Albersmaer, Albersmayr, Albersmeyer, Albersmeir, and Albersmeyr.
Albersmeier is believed to be derived from the German surname Albersmeier, which in turn likely originated from the Middle High German male personal name Albrecht, which literally means “nobly bright”. During the Middle Ages, names were often combined with a “meier” or “meierin” to denote a person’s domicile or abode. Thus, Albersmeier is thought to mean “one from Albrecht’s abode”.
A few surnames that are related to Albersmeier include Alberg, Albrecht, Alberts, Albertz, and Eibert. It is also possible that Albersmeier is a variant of the Dutch surname Elbersmeijer, which originated from the personal names Elbert or Elbertus combined with “meijer” meaning “mayor”.
The Albersmeier surname is found in records from Germany, Netherlands, Jewish families in Germany, the United States, and other countries around the world. Spelling variations of Albersmeier are common, but are also found in many other German surnames. By researching the variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin, it is possible to gain a much fuller picture of one’s family history.
Famous people with the name Albersmeier
- Hans Albersmeier: He is a German-born TV host and model who rose to fame through shows such as Radio Bremen and Roh-TV.
- Lou Albersmeier: Lou is an American professional clogger best known for his appearances in Clogging USA and on Dancing with the Stars.
- Wolfgang Albersmeier: Wolfgang is an iconic German actor and comedian who starred in several films and television shows during the 1980s and 1990s.
- Gerard Albersmeier: Gerard is a Dutch sculptor most notably known for his quirky bronze sculptures and sculptures made of recycled material.
- Adam Albersmeier: Adam is an American singer-songwriter, most famous for his alternative and blues-style music.
- Dirk Albersmeier: Dirk is a German gerontologist specialised in the care of elderly people. He is the director of the European Ageing Network and the Alzheimer Europe Foundation.
- James Albersmeier: James is an American film director, photographer and visual effects artist. He is most known for directing the 2010 horror movie “The Senate Cat”.
- Alfred Albersmeier: Alfred is a German-born author and illustrator of several comic books, children’s books, and novels.
- Richard Albersmeier: Richard is an American painter and illustrator best known for his expressionistic and abstract works. His works are featured in museums throughout the USA.