Surname Arragan - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'A'
Arragan: What does the surname Arragan mean?
The last name Arragan is a Spanish surname that is derived from the old Spanish word “arraigo” which translates to roots, heritage, or origin. It is primarily found in areas of Central and South America and is believed to have originated in the province of Castile in northern Spain.
Arragan is a toponymic surname meaning it is derived from a particular geographical location or area. It is related to Arragon which is an ancient kingdom located in the Pyrenees and currently a part of the autonomous community of Aragon in northeastern Spain. The evolution of the word Arragan could have come through different linguistical changes such as dialectical pronunciations or misspelling due to a scribe or official recorder.
Arragan’s who trace their roots to this particular area can identify themselves an Arraigando or “one who comes from”. The Arragan surname is associated with integrity, loyalty and trust and likely reassures its roots in a lineage of noblemen and experienced warriors.
The power of one’s name is incredibly significant and can make a powerful statement about where one’s roots come from and what kind of character that one is. The allure and history of the Arragan name is a source of pride for those who have it and can help to give a better understanding of where a person has come from and what they are capable of now.Order DNA origin analysis
Arragan: Where does the name Arragan come from?
The last name Arragan is most commonly found in Spain today. It is believed to be of Spanish origin and dates back centuries. The name can be found primarily in the southern regions of Spain, including Andalucía, Galicia, Murcia, and Castilla-La Mancha. In addition, the surname has spread to other parts of the world, particularly due to immigration from Spain. According to research, recent Arragan families have settled in numerous countries, including Argentina, Mexico, the United States, and Venezuela.
In the United States, the last name Arragan can be found in multiple states including California, Texas, Arizona, and Florida. The majority of Arragan immigrants to the United States originated from Spain, but some families have immigrated from Mexico and other parts of Latin America. According to the US Census of 2000, there were approximately 4,488 individuals with the Arragan surname living in the United States.
Overall, the last name Arragan is most common today in Spain, as well as parts of Latin America and the United States. The name is closely associated with the country of origin, Spain, and continues to be a proud part of many families’ heritage.
Variations of the surname Arragan
The surname Arragan can have a variety of variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin. The origination of the surname Arragan comes from a Basque language and, as such, is mostly found in Northern Spain. Some of the variants, spellings, and surnames that could be derived from Arragan are:
Aragon, Argentan, Argoin, Aragona, Arronson, Arranson, Arrhenius, Oregui, Aramago, Arraigo, Arzain, Erraitia, Erredia, Ergasoain, Rraga, Rangar, and ROREGA.
The surname Arragan is also spelled in varying ways, often due to language and locality. These variations can include Arragán, Arragañ, Arragã, Arragaña, Arrakain, Arrioja, Arrazan, and Rogan.
The Arragan surname is found in Northern Spain and a few other locations around the world such as France, Chile, Argentina, Mexico, the United States, and the UK. In previous generations the surname was sometimes changed by family members when they moved to other parts of the world, which can explain why there are different spellings.
It is possible that other surnames may have originated from Arragan. These surnames may include Arsain, Orraiga, Eregain, Urgoain, and Orasaín. This is due to possessive or derivative surnames, which are formed using the father's name as the basis. For example, the Arragan surname could produce surnames like Arragains and Arregains, which are created by adding the suffix “ain” to the father's name.
Overall, there are many variants, spellings, and surnames that could be related to the Arragan surname. Many of these variations have their roots in the Basque language, while others may have developed over time due to changing language or location.
Famous people with the name Arragan
- Meghan Arragan: American actress and look-alike of Emily Ratajkowski, known primarily for her roles in Homeland, Veep, House of Lies, and Murder Made Me Famous.
- Michael Arragan: American baseball player who pitched for the San Francisco Giants in 2000 and 2001.
- Jorge Arragan: Argentine basketball player who has played professionally in Europe and in the NBA D-League.
- Gabriel Arragan: Canadian professional boxer who won the WBC Youth World Super Welterweight Championship in 2018.
- Diego Arragan: Chilean professional football midfielder currently playing in the Tippeligaen (Norwegian Premier League).
- LouAnn Arragan: Former nun who went on to become a successful painter whose work has been exhibited in galleries in New York, Berlin and Stuttgart.
- Manuel Arragan: Mexico-born professional football player who played for Santos Laguna of Mexico’s Liga MX.
- Rossana Arragan: Argentinian model who won the Miss World runner-up title in 1966.
- Edwin Arragan: Cuban professional badminton player who competed at the 2008 Olympics.
- Sonia Arragan: Venezuelan author and poet whose books include Memoria Viva De Un País, Sin Profesion Ni Oficio, and Café Negro.