Surname Babbs - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Babbs: What does the surname Babbs mean?
The surname Babbs originates from the medieval English nickname or given name "Babb", which itself comes from the Middle English "babe", likely an informal term for a young child or possibly a term of endearment similar to the modern "baby". Thus, the surname might suggest being a descendant of someone who was endearingly called "babe". The additional 's' at the end usually denotes "son of", referencing a patriarchal lineage. Sometimes, these types of surnames were created to identify individuals in larger communities, distinguishing among several people with the same first name. Like many surnames that originated from nicknames, Babbs would have started to be used as a surname in the Middle Ages in England. Genealogically, it is most often found in areas tied closely with Medieval England's history. It is important to note that the interpretation and meaning of surnames can vary greatly depending on cultural, regional, and historical contexts.Order DNA origin analysis
Babbs: Where does the name Babbs come from?
The surname Babbs is of Anglo-Saxon origin, descending from the ancient personal name "Babba". It's considered to be a patronymic surname, meaning it was originally derived from the father's given name, resulting in variations like Babb and Babbson before settling into the modern version, Babbs. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Robertus Babbe, dated 1379, in the "Poll Tax Records of Yorkshire," during the reign of King Richard II of England. The surname Babbs has predominantly been found in England, specifically in the regions of Wiltshire, Somerset, and Devon.
Although the surname is centuries old, it is not hugely common today. Clair Babbs in his expansive genealogical work, ‘Our Babbs Family’, indicates that Babbs is very much an English name and almost all lineages can be traced back to England. Today, it's found more frequently in the United States, Canada, and Australia - countries that have seen significant English immigration over the centuries. However, England remains a common place for the Babbs surname.
Variations of the surname Babbs
The surname Babbs has several variants, spellings, and surnames of similar origin. These can be influenced by regional dialect, phonetic spelling, or immigration and transliteration complexities.
Variants and alternate spellings include Babb, Bab, Baby, Babs, Babbie, or Babbis. Some surnames that retain the original meaning, which is said to be derived from a medieval nickname for a small child, include English surnames such as Baby, Infant, Kidd, Little, Small, or Young.
Babbs is also thought to be derived from Babin, a diminutive form of the French name Barbé, meaning beard. This provides other possible variants such as Baba, Babic, Babich, Babbin, Babbing, and Bebe.
Surnames of similar origin include Barbe, Barber, and Barbour (from the French Barbé), as well as Baird (from the Scottish word for beard). Furthermore, the surname can also be traced back to Bapst or Babst, which are German variants of the name Baptist, referring to a follower of John the Baptist.
Finally, due to immigration and nationality changes, the surname could have been transliterated into various other forms in different languages, such as Babinski or Babenko in Slavic languages.
Famous people with the name Babbs
- Picabo Street: former world-class alpine ski racer.
- George Babbs: founder of Woodstock Festival.
- William Babbs: American football coach and former collegiate head coach.
- Milt Babbs: former National League baseball coach and player.
- Tommy Babbs: Grammy-winning country music artist.
- John Babbs: Academy Award-winning actor and producer.
- Arnold Babbs: former professional American football player.
- Mabel Babbs: the first female Mayor of Boise, Idaho.
- Frank Babbs: American artist, musician, and curator.
- Brett Babbs: professional golf player.
- Bob Babbs: Olympic sprinter.
- Eddie Babbs: former defensive back of the Canadian Football League.
- Coleman Babbs: jazz musician and singer.
- Joe Babbs: former mayor of Sault Sainte Marie, Canada.
- Aaron Babbs: former defensive end for the Atlanta Falcons.
- Ollie Babbs: former defensive tackle in the National Football League.
- Bill Babbs: former professional basketball player.
- Gary Babbs: former baseball pitcher of the Cincinnati Reds.