Surname Baughn - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Baughn: What does the surname Baughn mean?
The last name Baughn is primarily of English origin. It is thought to be a variant of the surname Bagnall, which is of Norman descent and was introduced into England following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name Bagnall itself is believed to be toponymic, derived from 'Baigneux', a location in the French province of Normandy, which means 'place of baths'. Therefore, the Baughn surname likely originally referred to a person from this place.
It's also speculated that the surname could be of occupational origin, derived from the Old English "boga", meaning bow and "hus", meaning house, indicating a house where bows are made. However, this interpretation is less agreed upon.
Like many surnames, over the centuries, spelling variations occurred due the phonetic spellings by scribes and clerics, creating different versions like Bagnall, Bagenal, Bagenall, Bagnell, Bagenell, Bagnold, Bagnal, Bagnell, Bagnill, Bagnel, Baughan, Baugan, and Baughn.
The frequency and distribution of the surname Baughn vary widely globally, with significant concentrations in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada. It's relatively rare compared to other surnames.
Baughn: Where does the name Baughn come from?
The surname Baughn is of Anglo-Saxon origin and derives from "boga", an Old English term meaning "bows" and "bowman". It is also believed to be locational, originating from regions known for bow-making such as Bow in Devon and London or Bowes in North Yorkshire. Originally, the surname might have denoted someone who lived by a bow-shaped river or someone who made or used bows, an essential tool and weapon in medieval times.
Records of the name date back to the 12th century in England and it has various spellings such as Bogh, Boghe, Bogh', Boughan, and Bawghan. The first documented spelling is in Northumberland, dating back to 1196, during the reign of King Richard I.
Today, the surname Baughn is sort of unusual and not particularly common anywhere. However, due to historical migrations and dispersal of families, it is encountered primarily in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada. Various prominent persons in history and contemporary times have borne this surname, contributing to its global spread and recognition.
Variations of the surname Baughn
The surname Baughn may have various spellings and variants due to geographical differences, language evolution, and transcription errors. Some possible alternate spellings and variations of the surname Baughn could include Baughan, Boughn, Boughan, Bohan, Bohun, Baugn, and Baugan.
Further, similar sounding names that could be of the same origin or misinterpretations of the name may include Bowman, Baumann, Bohannon, and Baugham. Some surnames could have been anglicized or modified over time to suit particular languages, hence the various versions.
It should also be noted that phonetic similarities do not always guarantee a common origin. The surname probably sprung from different sources, resulting in families with the same or similar surnames who are not historically related. For example, the surnames Baughn and Baughan may originate from the Gaelic surname "Ó Buadhacháin", itself derived from the word "buadhach", meaning victorious, or the Norman surname de Bohun, from Bohon, Normandy.
It's always recommended to delve into individual family histories and genealogical records for accurate ancestral information.
Famous people with the name Baughn
- Lynsey Baughn: actress who has appeared in several films and TV shows, such as Scandal, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther.
- Caitlin Baughn: American athlete and fitness pro who holds several certifications in pilates instruction, spinning, and yoga.
- Brandon Baughn: former professional NBA player who has played for the Charlotte Bobcats and Detroit Pistons.
- Julie Baughn: actress, writer, and director known for roles on Days of our Lives, Ally McBeal, Brothers & Sisters, and Desperate Housewives.
- Nick Baughn: former professional football player who played for the Philadelphia Eagles and Denver Broncos.
- Ethan Baughn: US national racecar driver who competes in a variety of formulas, including F2000, Skip Barber Formula Racing Series, and the Star Mazda Championship.
- Ann Baughn: American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and music educator.
- Kristie Baughn: retired professional golfer who won two European Tour events.
- Carson Baughn: professional skateboarder and filmmaker who is known for his skate videos on YouTube.
- Lauren Baughn: Professional figure skater, who competed for the US national team and is the two-time bronze medalist at the 2006 and 2008 US Figure Skating Championships.