Surname Beene - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Beene: What does the surname Beene mean?
The surname Beene is of Anglo-Saxon origin, deriving from an old English personal name "Benna" or "Bana", which was commonly used prior to the Norman conquest in 1066. Its exact meaning is unclear, but it is potentially linked to the Old Norse term "bani" meaning 'slayer' or 'murderer'. After the Norman conquest, this name evolved into various forms, including Baines, Banes, Beans, Beenes, and Beanes, among others. The spelling Beene might potentially denote a geographic origin, suggesting that the family resided by a stream, as "bene" in Old English can also mean 'beans', implying a location where beans were cultivated. However, the exact interpretation may vary, as surnames could be influenced by several factors such as occupation, location, descriptive nicknames or even estate names. As with many surnames, the meaning of Beene over the centuries has become less connected to its original significance.
Beene: Where does the name Beene come from?
The surname Beene is of English origin. The roots of the name can be traced back to the old English word "bene", translating to "beans". The name likely represented an occupational or descriptive nickname for someone involved in growing or selling beans, or maybe perhaps someone who resembled a bean in some manner.
Over the centuries, the name has had various spellings such as Bean, Beane, Bein, Ben, Bane, and Bayne, among others. The Beene spelling is one of many variations.
Today, the surname is most common in the United States, primarily spread across the southern states. The highest concentration of individuals with the Beene surname can be found in states like Arkansas, Tennessee, Texas, and Oklahoma. However, there are also individuals with the Beene surname in England, Canada and Australia.
Although it's not a very common surname, it has gained some recognition thanks to the renowned American fashion designer Geoffrey Beene.
Variations of the surname Beene
The surname Beene has several variant spellings, each influenced by factors such as geographical location, cultural differences, and translational inconsistencies over the centuries.
Some of the variations include Bean, Beane, Bein, Bien, Bain, Bane, Been, and Baine. These versions mainly differ in their use of vowels but phonetically remain similar to the original. It's also worth noting that double 'e' is sometimes replaced with 'ea' or 'ai', or even simplified to a single 'e' or 'a'.
Sometimes, prefixes or suffixes such as 'Mc', 'Mac', or 'son' are added, leading to additional variations like MacBean, McBean, Beanman, and Beanson.
In addition to these, surnames like Benes, Bennis, and Benn could be of the same origin, primarily due to the similarity in sounds.
Lastly, in some cases, the surname might have experienced a shift in characters leading to completely different-looking surnames that however trace back to Beene. Such extreme variations may include Bohnen (Germanic origin), Bohne, or Van der Bohne, where 'Bohne' means 'bean' in German.
It should be remembered that these variations depend on multiple factors, including regional dialect, cultural influences, migration, and personal preference. Variations in spelling do not typically dilute the ancestry or the heritage of the original surname.
Famous people with the name Beene
- Geoffrey Beene: Fashion designer and winner of multiple awards, including a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA).
- Jerry Beene: Country music singer-songwriter who has released five studio albums.
- Cecil Beene: Former professional basketball player in the American Basketball Association who played for the Kentucky Colonels.
- Gilbert Beene: Former professional football player who played offensive guard for the Houston Oilers.
- Warren Beene: Former professional football player who played wide receiver for the Tennessee Titans.
- J.J. Beene: Jazz and blues trumpeter.
- Jon Beene: Professional football player who currently plays linebacker for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Paul Beene: Professional football player who currently plays quarterback for the Chicago Bears.
- August Beene: Former professional baseball player who played for the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Mike Beene: Former professional baseball player who played for the Boston Red Sox.