Surname Buckalew - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Buckalew: What does the surname Buckalew mean?
The surname Buckalew is derived from the English place name Birclew, which was once used to refer to a meadow or marshy land and hence the surname suggests an association with this place. It is a topographic name for a person who lived near the marshy land or other similarly marshy environment.
The Buckalew surname is found in various records from different countries, but has generally been most common in the United Kingdom, particularly England, Ireland and Scotland. The early origins of the name can be traced back to the 700s were it was first found in England in the form of Birclew.
The Buckalew surname may be connected to other families or places. Buckalew is a relatively common name, with over 454 families in the United Kingdom alone and greater numbers elsewhere. Some variants of the name include Bicklew, Bickles and Buckles.
The Buckalew surname is a unique name with a strong connection to a particular place and its history. Its presence around the world demonstrates the impact of travel and immigration over the years. It also carries with it a strong reminder of the once marshland that created the association with this surname in the first place.Order DNA origin analysis
Buckalew: Where does the name Buckalew come from?
Buckalew is a rare surname found primarily in the United States, particularly in the South. The highest concentrations of people with the Buckalew surname are in North Carolina and Virginia, as well as Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Texas and Tennessee. Today, Buckalews are scattered throughout the United States, with some living in other countries including Australia, Canada and England.
Genealogy sites point to an origin in four early Bucks who emigrated to America from Europe in the 1600s. Three of the Buckshistorically settled in Virginia, and one in North Carolina. Later in the 1700s, many headed west, with many settling on the Western front.
The Buckalew name is carried on today by descendents of the four original Bucks. While not a particularly common name, many Buckalews are involved in their local communities, including military service.
Many Buckalews keep their family’s history alive by gathering together at family reunions. Buckalew gathering areas are often in North Carolina and Virginia – where the majority of the original Bucks settled in the 1600s.
Buckalews are proud to share their story and ensure that the history of the four Bucks that emigrated from Europe to America in the 1600s is not forgotten.
Variations of the surname Buckalew
Buckalew is a surname of English origin. It is believed to have derived from the Old English name becel, meaning “a small stream.” Variants of Buckalew include Buckel, Buckallew, Buckelow, and Bekelow.
The variations of the name can be seen in the spelling. In some cases, the spelling ‘e’ has been dropped, particularly in the Buckelow variant; in other cases, the shape of the ‘u’ has changed to ‘a,’ typically in the Buckallew variant.
Surnames associated with the name Buckalew include Buegel, Buchel, Buechelew, Buckaloo, Buegelow, and Beekelow.
The earliest recorded reference of the name is from the Domesday book in 1086 with a reference to a Nigel de Becel, which is believed to be the origin of the Buckalew name. Over time, the spelling varied and the family members spread throughout England and Wales. By the 16th century, there were references to Buckalews located in Shropshire.
The name has become popular across the world and it is believed that there are now thousands of people with the name Buckalew, and its variants, scattered across the world in countries such as the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and parts of Europe.
Famous people with the name Buckalew
- Charles Buckalew: Texas politician who served in both the Senate and the House from 1861–1871.
- Will Buckalew: American stage actor
- Robert Buckalew: American politician who served as a Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1957–1965
- James Buckalew: American politician who was a Republican member of the Pennsylvania State Senate from 1921–1925
- Peter Buckalew: American politician who served as a Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1915–1917
- John Buckalew: American politician who served as a Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1893–1899
- Thomas Buckalew: American politician who served as a Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1891–1895
- Rebekah Buckalew: American painter best known for her work in the Pennsylvania impressionist style
- Charles Buckalew Jr.: American politician who served as a Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1863–1897
- Joshua Buckalew: American politician who served as a Democratic in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1877–1881