Surname Bucklew - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Bucklew: What does the surname Bucklew mean?
The surname Bucklew is derived from the Middle English buckel, meaning "buckle maker," and was a common name for an artisan who made or sold buckles. The buckles themselves were used to fasten items like clothing, jewelry, and armor and were often made of metal. Though the exact origin of the name is unclear, it is believed to have first appeared in England in the 12th century. It may have been derived from buckel or bulke, which were English terms for a curved metal hook used to secure objects.
Over time, the Bucklew surname has spread throughout the world, and variants of it can be found in many countries including the United States, Russia, France, and Germany. Within the United States, the Bucklew surname is most commonly found in the Midwestern states such as Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan, and is also found in high concentrations in the southern states of Arkansas, Mississippi, and Georgia.
Today, the Bucklew surname continues to be an interesting and unique name, a reminder of the craftsmanship that was valued centuries ago. It carries a strong history of craftsmanship, hard work, and dedication that the bearers of the name are proud to share.Order DNA origin analysis
Bucklew: Where does the name Bucklew come from?
The last name Bucklew is most commonly found in the U.S. today, particularly in the Appalachian Mountain states such as Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia. The surname is thought to have originated in central Europe and made its way to the Appalachians with the earliest migration of Scots-Irish settlers in the 1700’s. The name Bucklew is also found in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and North Carolina, likely due to the 18th century migration of Scotch-Irish immigrants from those states.
Today, individuals with the last name Bucklew are scattered across the US, with some having relocated to California, Arizona, and other western states. The most concentrated populations currently reside in the aforementioned Appalachia states.
The Bucklew surname is believed to have derived from the Germanic word “bochel”, or a farmer who lived up in the hills and worked with leather. This definition demonstrates the hardworking, daring nature of these settlers, and their ability to adapt to the changing landscape. Despite migration and changing times, the Bucklew last name exists today as a reminder of the resourceful and resilient pioneering spirit of our ancestors.
Variations of the surname Bucklew
The surname Bucklew is of Anglo-Saxon origin, first appearing in England from the Middle English word "boclu," meaning buckle. It can be found in many different spellings, including Buckel, Buckell, Buckingham, Bucklow, and Buchlow. Bucklew is most commonly found in the United States, where it is the 63,241st most common name.
Variants of the name Bucklew include Buckel, Buckell, Buckingham, Buckle, Buckler, Buckles, Bucklow, and Buchlow. Buckel and Buckell are the most common variations of the name, which originated in Germany. Buckingham is another variation of the name which is more commonly used in England, and Bucklow and Buchlow are more common in Scotland and Ireland.
Surnames with the same origin as Bucklew include Buckerstaff, Bickerstaff, Bexter, Backerstaff, Beuckel, and Beuxell. Buckerstaff and Bickerstaff are related surnames which are more common in England and Scotland, respectively. Bexter is an American variant of the name. Backerstaff is another related word which is mainly found in England. The German variations Beuckel and Beuxell are less commonly heard of, but they still trace their roots back to the same origin as Bucklew.
Famous people with the name Bucklew
- Lucy Bucklew: Lucy is an actress, best known for her roles in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Opposite Sex.
- Matt Bucklew: Matt is a professional wakeboarder and the founder of Watersports Adventure Company "Boards By Bucklew".
- Ray Bucklew: Ray was a professional football player who played for the San Diego Chargers in the National Football League.
- Linda Chambers-Bucklew: Linda is an American business executive who served as the president of the Atlantic City Convention Authority from 1999 to 2012.
- Steve Bucklew: Steve Bucklew is an American stand-up comic and radio personality.
- Bob Bucklew: Bob is an American former professional wrestler best known for his appearances in the 1970s and 1980s.
- Mathew Bucklew: Mathew is an attorney based in Orlando, Florida. He specializes in personal injury law, as well as mental health cases.
- Tony Bucklew: Tony is an American voice actor, who is known for his work in video games.
- Greg Bucklew: Greg is a professional artist from Las Vegas, Nevada. He is best known for his freestyle airbrush artwork of various celebrities.
- LeAnn Bucklew: LeAnn is a professional skier and snowboarder. She has won numerous competitions, including the FIS Freestyle World Cup Ski Halfpipe event held in 2002. She is an Olympic medalist, having come in fourth in the Freestyle Ski Halfpipe event during the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.