Surname Butchereit - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Butchereit: What does the surname Butchereit mean?
The last name Butchereit is believed to be of German origin. The name is a toponym, derived from a place name. The original origin of this name suggests that it comes from a place called Butcher Block, located in the northwest of Germany.
The original meaning of the name Butchereit is "of the butchers". It is thought that the family living in or around this location were butchers by trade and the name was derived from that. It is likely that the Butchereit family has been in the profession of butchery for many generations.
The name Butchereit is still a common surname in Germany today, and is still used by members of the family to identify themselves. The name is also seen throughout other parts of Europe and even in North America, indicating that the family has dispersed in the diaspora of German ancestry.
The name Butchereit has thus come to mean 'from the butchers' and can be seen as a source of pride and honor from the family's legacy in Butchery and their continued contribution to the butchery profession. The name still carries a lot of meaning today, and it is a reminder of the family's connection to the craft and the centuries of tradition and knowledge that it passes on.Order DNA origin analysis
Butchereit: Where does the name Butchereit come from?
The last name Butchereit is most commonly found in Germany today. It is an occupational surname, derived from the German word for 'butcher'. It is believed to have been used as a name since the Middle Ages, primarily by people who were employed as butchers or who worked in the trade.
In Germany today, the last name is most frequent in the former East German states of Brandenburg and Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. It is also fairly common in Lower Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and the city-state of Berlin; in all of these places, it is among the top 500 most frequent last names. Beyond Germany, the last name Butchereit can be found in smaller numbers in Austria, Switzerland and other European countries.
In the United States of America, Butchereit is considerably rarer. Census data suggests that there are fewer than 500 people using the last name today. Most of them live in the midwestern and northeastern states, with Pennsylvania claiming the largest concentration of Butchereits. As of 2020, there were just two people listed in the telephone directory using this last name, both living in California.
Variations of the surname Butchereit
The surname Butchereit is an old German surname which originated in the Middle Ages. It is usually spelt "Butchereit" but is also known by several variants and surnames of the same origin.
The most common variant spellings of the surname Butchereit are Butcherit, Butcerite, Butzereit, Butzerait, Bützereit and Bützareit. These spellings are found mainly in Germany and parts of the Netherlands as well as some other parts of Central and Eastern Europe.
Other surnames of the same origin include Butcher, Butcherer and Butzere. These are found mainly in the United Kingdom and Ireland, although they can be found in other countries where English is spoken.
Additionally, the surname Butchereit can be found spelled as Butchersit and Butcherit in some parts of the United States. This variation of the surname is mainly found in the Midwest, particularly in Ohio and Michigan.
Other spellings of the surname that are not necessarily related to Butchereit include Butner, Butts, and Buttz.
Overall, the surname Butchereit has many variants and spellings of the same origin. Aside from Butcherit, Butcersite, Butzereit, Butzerait, Bützereit and Bützareit, its other variants and spellings include Butcherer, Butchersit, Butcherit, Butner, Butts and Buttz. These spellings can be found in many countries around Europe, the United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States, and in other places where English is spoken.
Famous people with the name Butchereit
- Christina Butchereit: Prior to her acting career, Christina served as a captain in the German navy for three years. She is best known for her lead roles in the films Until Nothing Remains (2009) and Alice (2014).
- Jan Butchereit: Jan is a German actor who has performed in a number of television productions, including the popular crime drama Stubbe: Von Fall Zu Fall.
- Christine Butchereit: Christine is an Austrian actress who has starred in numerous television series, including Der Bergdoktor and Der Bulle von Tölz.
- Christian Butchereit: Christian is a German actor who has appeared in several television productions, including the crime drama Tatort, the legal drama Duell der Ringer and the highly successful comedy series Löwenzahn.
- Anke Butchereit: Anke is a German actress and has starred in a number of movie productions, including Flucht aus der Todeszone and Knock Out.
- Mona Butchereit: Mona is a German actress who has appeared in a number of television series, including Die Fallers and Unser Charly.
- Theresa Butchereit: Theresa is a German actress and has appeared in the award-winning television drama Bergerfit.