Surname Carle - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'C'
Carle: What does the surname Carle mean?
The surname Carle is of Old Norse origin and is derived from the personal name Karl, meaning "man." It was often used to denote a free man, as opposed to a serf or slave, in the Middle Ages. It is also associated with the area known as Normandy. The surname was first recorded in the 11th century and is prevalent in Scotland and Northern England. Over time, there have been variations in the spelling such as Carl, Carle, Karl, and others. Just like many other surnames, the name Carle might have been a name given based on occupation, location, or personal characteristic. Given it means "free man", it might be associated with someone who was a leader or someone of notable freedom or power during the period the name was given. It's important to note that the meanings and origins of surnames can vary significantly based on region and time.
Carle: Where does the name Carle come from?
The surname Carle is of Scottish and Northern Irish origin; it is originated from the personal name Carl, which itself is derived from the Old Norse name Karl, meaning "free man". This surname was thus presumably given to someone who was a free man, i.g. not a serf, in the medieval period.
In Scotland, the surname Carle is most common in the regions of Lanarkshire, Aberdeenshire, and Midlothian. In Northern Ireland, it is most common in counties Antrim and Down. The surname has spread around the globe, primarily because of emigration from Scotland and Ireland. Today, it is still common in Scotland and Northern Ireland but also in countries where these emigrants have settled. One of the places is the United States, where it is most prevalent in Pennsylvania, New York, and California. It can also be found in Canada (especially in Ontario and Nova Scotia), Australia (particularly in New South Wales and Victoria), and New Zealand.
Regardless of its origin, anyone bearing the last name Carle can be proud of their connection to the history of free men in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Variations of the surname Carle
The surname Carle has various variants and related spellings which may include Carl, Karle, Karles, Karlen, Carlo, Carley, Carlisle, Carlin, and Carles. These variants may have emerged due to geographical location, cultural influence, or phonetic transcription.
Surnames with the same origin or area-specific modifications can give insight into familial migration patterns. Some of these surnames might include Carlsen, Carlson, Karlsen, or even Charles, arising from Scandinavian, English, and French linguistic roots respectively.
It's quite common for a surname's spelling to change over time due to regional dialects, illiteracy in earlier times, or simplification. For instance, the surname Carle could also be spelled as "Karle" in areas with a heavy German influence, similarly, “Carlo” in Italian regions, and "Charles" in English-speaking regions.
It's also important to note, the addition of suffixes such as '-son' (meaning 'son of') adapted surnames like Carl to Carlsen or Carlson, giving further unique derivations. The use of '-s' or '-es' indicates possession, hence 'Charles' can be interpreted as 'of Carl'.
Famous people with the name Carle
- Eric Carle: An American designer, illustrator, and writer of children's books notably known for "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" which has been translated into more than 66 languages.
- George Carle: A famous American football coach.
- Richard Carle: An American film actor, known for his roles in movies such as "The Ghost Walks" and "The Great Dictator".
- Bob Carle: A former professional baseball player in Major League Baseball.
- Frankie Carle: A famous American pianist and bandleader.
- Andreas Carle: A German footballer.
- Jean-Claude Carle: A member of the French Senate.
- Buckey and Larry Carle: American musicians and members of the band The Carle Brothers.
- Ron Carle: A Canadian politician.
- Bridget Carle: An American comedian, actress, and writer known for her work on "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon".
- Matt Carle: A retired American professional ice hockey defenseman who played in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the San Jose Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning, and Philadelphia Flyers.
- Ryan Carle: Flanked Defender for Otago United in the NZFC Please note that the fame of these individuals may vary according to personal perspective and geographical location.