Surname Hamill - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Hamill: What does the surname Hamill mean?
The last name Hamill is an anglicized form of the Gaelic name Ó hEamhnaigh, which means "descendant of Eamhan". It is an old Irish surname which likely originated in County Donegal, Ireland.
The original Irish name is derived from two elements – one being the Gaelic word “eamh”, meaning “sweet-smelling” or “fragrant”, and the other being the personal name Eamhan. This name is thought to have been used in Ireland as early as the 5th century.
The Hamill surname is most common in modern Ireland, but it also appears in other parts of the world where immigrants settled. In the United States, it is very common in the states of Pennsylvania, New York, California, and Ohio, where many Irish immigrants relocated in the 19th and 20th centuries.
The Hamill family crest is a sword and belt on a red background, with three bulrushes surrounding it. This symbolizes strength, loyalty, and a close relationship with nature.
The last name Hamill has gone through a few spelling variations throughout history, including Hymel, Himel, Hamill, Heymel, and Hamel. It is still found in its original spelling in County Donegal, making it an important part of Irish heritage.
Hamill: Where does the name Hamill come from?
The last name Hamill is most common throughout Ireland and the United Kingdom. According to the website Forebears, in 2019 it is the 406th most common surname in England and the 329th most common in Scotland. In the United States, the last name Hamill is the 2833rd most common and is fairly evenly distributed across the country. Portions of the Midwest, particularly Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan, have higher concentrations of the surname compared to other states. Hamill is also common in other English-speaking countries like Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
The origin of the Hamill surname is a bit mysterious. It may have evolved from the ancient Irish name O'hAimhleacháin, which may be derived from the Gaelic words "aimhleach", which means "hawk-like" or "swift", and "ain", which means “clear” or “noble”. Alternatively, it may have evolved from the Gaelic words “mag” and “Uil”, thus meaning “son of the servant of the chariot”. While there are scattered references of the Hamill surname in records before the 18th century, the significant number of the surname holders only started to appear in the 19th century.
Today, the surname Hamill is mainly associated with the famous actor Mark Hamill, who starred as Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars franchise.
Variations of the surname Hamill
The surname Hamill is of Irish origin, primarily stemming from the province of Connacht. The most common variants of the surname are usually spelled "Ó hAmaill" and "O’Hamaill". The two most common spellings for the surname in modern times are "Hamill" and "Hammill".
The term "Ó hAmaill" is an anglicized version of the original Gaelic surname. In Irish, it is pronounced "Oh-ham-el", and means "descendent of Amhailghe" or "descendent of Amhailgheán". The original prefix "Ó" was used to denote "son of", and was dropped from many surnames during the period of English colonization in Ireland.
The surname Hamill can also be found given the form "Hammill", which is believed to be derived from a dialectal form of the name, more commonly seen in the North of Ireland. Hammill is also a common spelling of the surname in Scotland, used mainly in rural communities.
The surname is also found using other variants, at the beginning and middle of some names, such as "MacHamill" and "Hemill". In many cases, the spelling would depend on how the individual wanted their name recorded, or how the individual heard the name pronounced.
Thedate family has been present in Ireland since at least the 12th to 13th centuries, originating in the area of Mayo, near the towns of Ire hill and Kilskeery. They originally held the hereditary title of Chief or Prince of Carra, before being displaced from the barony of Carra in 1235.
The surname Hamill is still commonly found in Ireland, and throughout the world, as people with the surname have settled elsewhere, particularly in Britain, the United States and Canada.
Famous people with the name Hamill
- Mark Hamill: Best known for his portrayal of the iconic Luke Skywalker in the Star Wars franchise, Mark Hamill has been an entertaining figure in the global entertainment industry for decades. Aside from his iconic role in Star Wars, he has lent his distinctive voice to characters from Batman The Animated Series, The Simpsons, The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Avatar: The Last Airbender and more.
- Matthew Hamill: Matthew Hamill is an American retired mixed martial artist and three-time NCAA Division III wrestling champion. He made his UFC debut in 2006 and had an extensive career in the organization, fighting a total of 17 fights before he retired in 2015.
- William V. Hamill: William V. Hamill was an American politician and lawyer who served as a Republican member of the United States Senate from Missouri from 1953 to 1957. During his tenure in office, he was a vocal advocate of conservative policies.
- Barbra Hamill: Barbra Hamill is a former special counsel to the governor and current acting chief judge of the Wisconsin Circuit Court in Milwaukee. She has held numerous legal positions in the past, including tenure as a city attorney for the city of Milwaukee.
- Mallory Hamill: Mallory Hamill is an American actress and director, best known for her roles in the films The Nymphomaniac and The Black Hole. She has also appeared as a recurring character in the television show Lost.