Surname Hanna - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Hanna: What does the surname Hanna mean?
The surname Hanna has roots in various cultures, but primarily it is of Irish and Arabic origin. In Irish Gaelic, Hanna or its variant Hanney is derived from "O'Hannaidh," meaning "descendant of Annadh," with "Annadh" being a byname which translates to "indefatigable" or "unyielding."
In Arabic, Hanna is derived from “Hannah,” a given name meaning "grace" or "compassionate." It is a common Christian surname in the Middle East, most notably in Lebanon and Egypt.
Regardless of the origin, it has transformed over centuries into a popular and widely used surname across multiple cultures.
In some cases, Hanna might also be a shortened version of the Jewish surname Johanan, meaning "God is gracious."
Overall, the name signifies strength, grace, and kindness illustrating a rich multifaceted cultural heritage.
Hanna: Where does the name Hanna come from?
The surname Hanna, also spelled as Hannah, Hana, or Khana, has various origins. In many cases, it is derived from the Hebrew name Hanna, meaning "gracious" or "favor". It might also be derived from the Arabic name, Hanna, which signifies "happy" or "content".
In Europe, particularly in Ireland and Scotland, Hanna is a popular patronymic surname transformed from the personal name "Johannes" in the Middle Ages. The name Johannes, which gave rise to many European surnames, is a Latin form of the Greek name Ἰωάννης (Iōannēs), itself derived from the Hebrew name Yohanan, meaning "Yahweh is gracious".
As for its distribution today, the surname Hanna is common in many English-speaking countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia. It's also prevalent in Middle Eastern nations like Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria. In addition, due to historical Irish emigration, Hanna can also be found in several countries across the globe where the Irish Diaspora have settled. However, it is important to note that geographical distribution patterns of surnames can change over time due to various factors such as migration and natural calamities.
Variations of the surname Hanna
The surname Hanna has various different variants, spellings, and other surnames that originate from the same root. Variants of Hanna can include Hana, Hanah, Hannah, Hanney, and Hanny. Some other spellings which depend on cultural and regional differences can be Hannay, Hanae, Hannan, and Hannath, as these include different phonetical interpretations or adaptations of the name.
In terms of surnames that have the same origins, Ireland has a large number of surnames derived from the same root, including Hannan, Hannen, and Hannin. These are Anglicizations of the Irish O hAnnaigh, meaning 'descendant of Annach', a personal name of uncertain origin.
From Scottish origins, we get similar surnames including Hannah, Hannay, and Hannath. There's also a Jewish root, which is often spelled as Chana or Hana. The spelling changes depending on transliteration from the original alphabet.
Furthermore, there is a close link between Hanna and Hannon, predominantly used in the Northern parts of Ireland, while Hannon is more commonly used in the South. Hence, these surnames can be seen as regional variations of the same original surname.
Famous people with the name Hanna
- William Hanna: American animator, director, and producer who co-founded Hanna-Barbera, known for creating iconic cartoons like Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, Yogi Bear, and Scooby-Doo.
- Chris Hanna: An established figure in the Canadian culinary industry known for running award-winning restaurants.
- James Hanna: An American actor from the 1970s and 1980s who had roles in films like The Blues Brothers and A Few Good Men.
- Daryl Hanna: An American actress and environmental activist, known for her roles in films such as Blade Runner and Splash.
- Randa Hanna: An Egyptian actress known for her roles in Middle Eastern cinema.
- Jake Hanna: An American jazz drummer known for his versatile style.
- Gabbie Hanna: American internet personality, author, singer-songwriter, and actress. She started her career on the short-form video service Vine, under the name "The Gabbie Show".
- David Hanna: A Canadian fashion designer who has been a part of various international fashion events.
- Page Hanna: An American actress, known for Zapped! (1982), The Golden Girls (1985) and Magnum, P.I. (1980). The daughter of William Hanna.
- Paul Hanna: Pediatrics specialist in West Virginia, United States. Please note, "Hannah" can also be a last name and has its own set of famous people associated with it.