Surname Hatcher - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Opening The Gate on My Past: Tracing the Hatcher Lineage with iGENEA DNA Test
Delving into my ancestry through an iGENEA DNA test revealed the intriguing history of my surname, Hatcher. Originating from the Old English word 'hece,' Hatcher denotes a gatekeeper, placing my lineage in an interesting socio-cultural context. From the historic occupation to the geographical spread of my surname and notable members throughout history, I've gained an enriched understanding of my ancestry.
I. Hatcherread more
Hatcher: What does the surname Hatcher mean?
The last name Hatcher is of English origin and stems from the Old English term "haecc" which means hatch or gate. It was given as a professional surname to those who worked as gatekeepers or doorkeepers, often in a medieval manor. Additionally, the surname could also be associated with a hatchet maker or user. This name tracks back to the medieval period of the 7th to 11th century. Furthermore, the surname was also transferred from place names such as Hatch in Bedfordshire County in England, implying that its bearers could also have lived near a prominent gate or hatch. Like many surnames linked to occupations or locations, Hatcher can reflect either what kind of work an ancestor did or where they lived.Order DNA origin analysis
Hatcher: Where does the name Hatcher come from?
The surname Hatcher primarily originates from England. It is of occupational derivation, referring to the medieval job of a 'hatcher' or 'hatcheler,' workers responsible for combing out or 'hatching' raw wool or flax for spinning. The name is based on the Old English word 'hæcce,' which means 'hack, hatchet.' The Hatcher surname is first recorded in the 13th century in Hampshire in southern England.
Nowadays, the Hatcher surname is common in English-speaking countries worldwide, with the highest concentration in the United States according to Forebears. After the U.S., it is most prevalent in England and Australia. In the United States, the most significant number of people with the Hatcher last name live in the states of Florida, Texas, and Georgia. Despite its English origins, the frequency of the Hatcher surname is relatively moderate in England. Diversity and migration patterns have likely contributed to the surname's current global distribution.
Variations of the surname Hatcher
The surname Hatcher originally derived from an occupational name for a person who worked as a hatcher, hatching and maintaining birds for a landlord. It was developed during the medieval period in England. The alternative spellings for this name can include Hatcher, Hatchman, Hatch, and Hatchard.
Hatcher may have local variants based on the dialect and phonetics of specific regions. It's also likely to find surname variants like Haecher, Hetcher, or Hotcher.
There might be other surnames derived from the same occupation around Europe, like in France; it might be "Eclosier" or in Germany; it could be "Ausbrüter".
The surname Hatch is common in England and it is believed that Hatcher could have originated from this name. Hatchard is another variant which could have been derived from Hatcher.
An Irish variant of the name could be O'Hatcher or simply Hatcher in anglicized form.
As with many surnames, over centuries and through migration, many more variants could have evolved and exist, and this list is by no means exhaustive.
Famous people with the name Hatcher
- Teri Hatcher: An American actress, producer, writer, singer, and entrepreneur best known for her role as Susan Mayer on the television series Desperate Housewives.
- David Hatcher: An American actor and former professional wrestler, known for his role as "Handsome" David Schultz in the 2014 movie Foxcatcher.
- Eugene Hatcher: An American professional basketball player. He was the first African-American player drafted in the NBA, in 1949. He played for the Boston Celtics and the Baltimore Bullets.
- Jaquan Hatcher: An American professional basketball player for the Brooklyn Nets of the NBA.
- D'Angelo Harrison: An American professional basketball player who last played for the New York Knicks of the NBA.
- Tara Hatcher: An American model and actress best known for playing Miss Davis in the 2017 movie Pitch Perfect 3.
- Anthony Hatcher: An American football player who played for the San Francisco 49ers and the Los Angeles Rams of the NFL.
- Chuck Hatcher: An American professional golfer who played on the PGA Tour in the 1970s and 1980s.
- Dee Hatcher: An American independent professional wrestler and manager.
- Christopher Hatcher: An American filmmaker who directed the 2013 movie Detention of the Dead.