Surname Hester - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Hester: What does the surname Hester mean?
The surname Hester is of English and German origin. It initially emerged as a variant of the feminine given name Esther, which itself is derived from the Old Persian word "stāra", meaning star. Therefore, Hester can be roughly translated to mean "star". In the English tradition, the surname Hester was first used in Norfolk. Additionally, it is thought that the name may have been used as a metronymic surname, passed down from the maternal line. The Hester surname has different variations across countries, such as Hesterman in Germany and Hestia in Czechoslovakia. Understanding the meaning of surnames can provide interesting information about the history, lineage, and migration patterns of families with that surname.
Hester: Where does the name Hester come from?
The surname Hester is of English origin and is derived from the given name Esther, a popular female name during the Middle Ages in England. The name Esther is of Biblical origins and was often given in honor of the Jewish queen who was the heroine of the eponymous Book of Esther. The transformation of Esther to Hester in the English language was due to dialects.
In Ireland, the surname Hester was adopted by some bearers of the Gaelic name O'hOistir, mostly found in County Galway.
Today, Hester is common in English-speaking countries, particularly in the United States and the United Kingdom. Various public records in the U.S. suggest that it is most popular in the southern states due to historical migration patterns.
Variations of the surname Hester
The surname Hester is of Old French origin and was brought to England during the Norman invasion. It is believed to have originated from the personal name "Esteve," which itself is a variant of the name "Stephen."
There are several possible variant spellings for this surname, which may have arisen due to different regional pronunciations or due to misspellings in historical records. Variants could include Esther, Hister, Heister, Hostler and Huster. Surnames closely related to Hester could also include Heston or Hesterman.
The surname Hester may also be a variant of ester or easter which are more common in Dutch or German-speaking communities. Similarly, Hester may be a version of Heister, again more predominantly found in German language contexts.
It's worth noting that variations might also occur through marriage, where the last name gets hyphenated or combined, like Hester-Smith or Hester-Jones.
In the United States, African Americans might bear this last name as numerous slaves took the surnames of their last slaveholders post-emancipation. They may have alternative spellings or phonetic resemblances like Haster, Hastor, or Hasstor.
Remember, each of these variations could have its own set of further variations, given the diverse and complex nature of surname evolution over centuries and in various geographical contexts.
Famous people with the name Hester
- Devin Hester: NFL football player, return specialist and wide receiver
- Dan Hester: wrestler and coach
- Anthony Hester: former NFL wide receiver
- Ambassador Delano E. Hester: former American diplomat
- C. Larry Hester: former president of the International Association of Fire Chiefs
- Roger Hester: American pediatrician
- Kliff Hester: actor and filmmaker
- Brynn Hester: recording artist
- Axle Hester: professional surfer
- Miles Hester: former law professor
- Ryan Hester: cartoonist
- Jon Hester: professional ice hockey player
- Lowell L. Hester: retired United States Navy vice admiral
- Derick Hester: American football player
- Roy Hester: former Major League Baseball pitcher
- Trenton Hester: professional golfer
- Chase Hester: former professional football player
- Nicole Hester: supported living specialist
- Brett Hester: professional volleyball player
- Kristen Hester: sports executive
- Mark Hester: former English cricket player
- Trevor Hester: professional musician
- Michael Hester: retired WWE professional wrestler
- Craig Hester: former American football wide receiver
- Drew Hester: professional drummer