Surname Higgans - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Higgans: What does the surname Higgans mean?
The surname Higgans is of Irish origin, derived from the Gaelic name O'hUiginn, which means "descendant of Uiginn." The given name Uiginn is believed to be derived from a Norse-Viking personal name. Over the centuries, the surname has evolved into various forms such as Higgins, Higgin, and Higgans under the influence of regional dialects and spellings. Like many Irish surnames, it can denote a family's geographic origin, specific ancestral figure, or occupation. As it stands, the "descendant of Uiginn" could indicate a line of people who inherited some notable qualities or traits from this forebear, although these characteristics aren't specifically defined in the name. An important thing to note is that the translation and meaning could differ slightly among different families bearing the Higgans surname, given historical and regional factors.
Higgans: Where does the name Higgans come from?
The last name Higgans is a fairly common name worldwide, particularly in Ireland and the United Kingdom. In Ireland, the surname is derived from the Gaelic surname O hUiginn, which is thought to mean descendant of Uiginn, a personal name meaning "vigor" or "strength." The name is also used as a nickname for names beginning with "Hickey" or "Higgins".
In Britain, where the name is often spelled "Higgins," it's thought to have come from O'Higgins, which is an Irish patronymic name. It is also possible that it comes from the town of "Higg" in Cornwall, England.
In the United States, the last name Higgans is the 2,100th most popular surname. It is more prominent in the northern and western states, where as many as 1 in 571 people are named Higgins, and less popular in the southern states.
Overall, the last name Higgans is fairly common around the world, especially in the United Kingdom, Ireland, and the United States. The name is believed to have originated in Cornwall, England, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. It is most popular around the north and west of the US, where it is the 2,100th most common surname.
Variations of the surname Higgans
Higgans is an Irish surname, commonly seen in Galway, Mayo and Cork counties. The variants, spellings and surnames of the same origin include Higginson, Higgin, Higgens, Higgins, Higgen, Higgon, Higgan, Higginbotham, Higger, Higgum, Higinbotham, Higgans, Haggins, Higganss, Higgett, Higgit, Hyder, Heggins, Megginson, McCue and Hycliffe.
Higgans is an Anglicized version of the Gaelic word O hUiginn, which means descendant of Huiginn. It is derived from the Old Norse personal name Hvígandr, which is composed of two elements: hví (or hvígi), meaning 'exalted' or 'ship', and andr, meaning 'man'.
The diverse spellings of the Higgans surname indicate that different branches of the same family adopted their own individual spelling over the years, and that many versions of the surname exist today.
The surname Higgins is a well-known variant of the Higgans surname, and is most often found in Leinster and Munster. It derives from Huighin, which is the genitive (possessive) form of the Irish personal name Ó hUiginn. The genitive form is used in surnames composed of the family name, such as O'Farrell or O'Connor.
McCue is another surname that has the same origin as Higgans. This is an Anglicized form of the Gaelic surname Mac Duibhshíth, which is derived from the given name Dubhsith or Dubhseadhach. This is composed of the elements dubh, meaning ‘black’ or ‘dark’, and sith, meaning ‘peace’.
Overall, Higgans is an Irish surname with many variants and spellings of the same origin. Over the years these spellings have been adapted, leading to many different versions of the same surname.
Famous people with the name Higgans
- Niall Higgans: Irish pop-singer-songwriter and a member of boy band One Direction.
- Maureen Higgans: American journalist, podcast host, and former talk show host with her show Smart Talk with Maureen Higgans.
- Eamonn Higgans: Welsh professional footballer who currently plays for Premier League club Cardiff City.
- Arlo Higgans: American professional ice hockey player currently playing for Los Angeles Kings of the National Hockey League.
- Colter Higgans: American professional golfer who plays on the PGA Tour and won the 2019 John Deere Classic.
- Mabel Higgans: English nurse who was awarded the Royal Red Cross for her services in World War II.
- Charles Higgans: American criminal and Confederate general during the American Civil War who lead the Battle of Bunker Hill and Chickamauga
- Debbie Higgans: English actress who has acted in various films and TV series including the Harry Potter film series and the BBC character-driven soap opera EastEnders.
- Paddy Higgans: Irish actor and director who has been active in stage, film, and television since the 1970s.
- Guy Higgans: English actor best known for his roles in various television series such as NCIS, and action-adventure films including The Expendables 3.