Surname Holdenried - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Holdenried: What does the surname Holdenried mean?
The last name Holdenried is derived from a Germanic surname that was likely associated with various locations in Germany, such as those in Bavaria and Prussia. The name itself likely originates from a combination of two words— “holden", which means “kind” or “dear” and “ried,” meaning “field” or “clearing”—conveying the idea of being “kindly” or “finely” related to the land. This could refer to various relationships, such as the relationship a landowner has with his land or the relationship a farmer has with his crops.
In the genealogical context, the name Holdenried could refer to a place of origin. Historical records indicate that the name first appeared in Germany in the 15th century, and it later spread to other parts of Europe, especially during periods of migration. It is possible that the name was acquired by different groups of people who hailed from various parts of Germany.
Due to its Germanic roots, the last name Holdenried likely has some religious and cultural significance as well. It could symbolize the strong relationship between people and their land, a connection which is often seen as an important part of people's identity. For some, it is a reminder of the soothing power of nature, whereas for others, it may symbolize people's deep-rooted connection with their homeland.Order DNA origin analysis
Holdenried: Where does the name Holdenried come from?
The last name Holdenried is primarily found in the south and central regions of Germany today. It has a long history that goes back to at least the 1600s, when records in the area show the name in use. Since then, a number of branches of the family have spread out across the country and beyond, and today, the name can be found in many different countries around the world both in its anglicized and its original forms.
In Germany, the name is especially common in Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg, and Hesse, in addition to other parts of southern Germany. Significant numbers of the name are also found in the northern part of the country, especially in North Rhine-Westphalia and Lower Saxony. The name is very widespread in Germany, which is testament to the antiquity of the family and the long-established history in the nation.
Outside of Germany, the name is found in a number of countries, including the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and even Mexico, among others. In these nations, the name may have been anglicized in some cases, but is generally still recognizable as the same name. The Holdenried surname is still a common one around the world today, although it remains particularly strong in its home country.
Variations of the surname Holdenried
Holdenried is a German surname derived from the words “hold” and “rieden,” meaning “unfenced clearing.” It is an occupational surname, given to people who lived and worked in meadows. The Holdenried surname is found in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria.
The most common variants of the Holdenried surname are the Austrian, Holdernieder, and the Swiss, Holdenrieder. Other variants of the name include Holdenriedel, Holdenreiter, Holdeneritter, Holdesrieder, Holdensrieder, and Holderrieder.
The Holdenried surname has many spellings, including Holdenrieter, Holdenrieder, Holdenriedt, Holdenreiter, Holdenriedel, Höldenrieder, Holdenerieder, Holdenriedel, Holderrier, Holdenriede, Holdeneritter, Holdesrieder, Holdenrieder, Hollenrieder, and Holenrieder.
There are several surnames which are related to or derived from the Holdenried surname. These include Holdemeyer, Holdener, Holdenschneider, Hollenried, Hilbert, Holler, and Hellenried.
Overall, the Holdenried surname is a common name in German-speaking countries and is found in many different forms. The various spellings and related surnames provide insight into the many cultural and historical elements of the original name.
Famous people with the name Holdenried
- Tyler Holdenried: American entrepreneur based in San Francisco. He is the founder of an investment firm called Investmented Group and was recognized as the 2016 Sacramento Business Journal "Emerging Leader of the Year".
- Chase Holdenried: A California-based professional golf instructor with a decade of experience in golf instruction and instruction program design. He is the founder of Holdenried Golf Academy and has been featured in a variety of media such as USGA and Golf Digest.
- Ashley Holdenried: An actress who is best known for her roles in The Back-up Plan (2010), Trainwreck (2015), and Ted (2012). Ashley has also been featured in a number of independent films and television shows including Mary Kills People, Good Witch, and NCIS.
- Bob Holdenried: Bob is an actor and was part of the animation team of The Peanuts Movie. He has also appeared in numerous live-action films such as The Usual Suspects, Enchanted, Stand By Me, and many more.
- David Holdenried: A former professional baseball player in the Oakland Athletics organization. He was originally signed by the Athletics in 1982 and played in the minor league system until 1992.
- Nicole Holdenried: An American music artist and former wrestler. She was the first woman to win a state wrestling title in Georgia, and later pursued a musical career, releasing her debut album in 2019.
- Jack Holdenried: An actor and musician, best known for his role as the lead singer in the garage rock band The Red Pony, which was active from 1988 to 1993. He was also featured in a variety of independent films and television shows including Strangers With Candy, The Believers, and Sleep Easy, Charlie Parker.