Surname Holgate - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Holgate: What does the surname Holgate mean?
The surname Holgate is of Anglo-Saxon origin and originated in England. It is a locational surname that was originally taken from the place called Holgate in Yorkshire. The name Holgate is derived from the Old English words "hol", meaning "hollow" or "hole", and "geat", meaning "gate". Thus, it can be interpreted as "the gate to the hollow" or "the gate in the hollow". This could potentially refer to a gateway or pass leading to a sheltered or hidden enclosure. As surnames were often given based on a person’s occupation or geographical location, the surname ‘Holgate’ might have been given to people who lived near such a location. Like many surnames, it would have been used to identify a person’s origin – a vital element in times when most people never ventured far from their birthplaces.Order DNA origin analysis
Holgate: Where does the name Holgate come from?
The surname Holgate is of Anglo-Saxon origin, derived from the Old English elements "hol" meaning 'hollow,' and "gata" meaning 'gate'. Thus, Holgate could have been a topographical name for someone who lived near a hollow way or path. Alternatively, it might be a habitational surname, referring to various places in Northern England named Holgate, such as in North Yorkshire, Durham, and Lancashire, where there existed hollow ways or dene holes. Notably, it's connected to a place near York in England where a Roman fort and road were located.
Currently, the surname is widely dispersed, but it is most common in English-speaking countries, especially in the United Kingdom, specifically in Northern England where it originated. It's also found in other English-speaking regions across the globe such as the United States, Australia, and Canada. However, significant numbers of Holgates might also be found in Ireland and South Africa. As population and migration patterns are constantly evolving, the distribution and commonness of the surname is subject to change.
Variations of the surname Holgate
Holgate is a British surname that originates from Old Norse and Old Danish, and is locational in nature. Variations of the name often come from differences in spelling over time and geographical differences. Variants and spellings of this surname might include Hoolgate, Houlgate, Hawlgate, Halgate, Holygate, Holegate, and Hollgate.
Sometimes, due to regional dialects, slight variations in the sound of the name can occur, leading to further versions like Hollgett, Hollgott, Hallgath, or Hallgett. These are potential phoneticized versions of the name.
The surname’s origin lies in Northern England and Scotland, areas that were occupied by Vikings. The name is derived from a combination of the Old Norse 'hólar' meaning "hollows" and 'gata' meaning "gate." It would have originally been used to denote someone who lived by a gate in a hollow.
Genealogists studying the name should note that during periods of high migration (such as during the Viking expansion), these names might have been altered to fit into a new culture or language. It is also possible that different branches of the same original family could have spelled their names differently.
Famous people with the name Holgate
- Grace Holgate: impactful actress who’s had major roles in films and television series such as The Nine in 2006, Life on Mars in 2006, Kingdom in 2007, and As If in 2002.
- Bev Holgate: star of stage and screen known for appearances in Coronation Street, The Beachcomber, and A Handful of Dust.
- Joe Holgate: a professional rugby union player for Championship side Doncaster Knights, he has made over 40 appearances and managed over 10 tries in the 2020-21 season.
- Andrew Holgate: notable editor of the British publishing house Faber & Faber since 2008.
- Philip Holgate: chairman of the Victoria Racing Club, a well-recognised horse racing club in Australia.
- Professor John Holgate: internationally recognised academic, he has been awarded fellowships at prestigious organisations such as the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia.
- Paul Holgate: an influential industrialist who founded Hygienic Products Ltd, now a multi-million-pound worldwide business.
- Bob Holgate: an active cycling enthusiast and sportswriter based in the United Kingdom.
- Peter Holgate: successful contemporary artist with many galleries showcasing his works across the globe.
- Frank Holgate: tv producer and director who has worked on shows such as Coronation Street, Monarch of the Glen, and the classic sci-fi series Doctor Who.