Surname Holibeche - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Holibeche: What does the surname Holibeche mean?
The last name Holibeche is an anglicized form of the French surname Holbecque, derived from the pre-10th-century Old Norse personal name ‘Holi’, meaning ‘blessed’. The suffix ‘bec’, often appearing in Old French as ‘becque’, denoted either an area of land, or an occupation, such as ‘the man of the beech wood’. It is a variant form of Hallebecque, as is found in Normandy in the 11th century, and the spelling then tends to become Halibecque and Holibecque.
The earliest known recording of the name is Claude Holbecque (1662 - 1736), who is the first of the family to arrive in America, settling in the state of Maryland. In France, the name is most strongly associated with the provinces of Normandy and Picardy, in the north-east of the country.
Having said that, the family also migrated to other territories in Europe, including England. Here the name is most commonly found in Derbyshire and Staffordshire. Today it is commonly used as a surname in the United Kingdom, with its own hereditary family title.
As a result of its French and Old Norse origins, the name Holibeche is a symbol of a family's long-standing heritage, with its roots going back centuries. To those who carry it, it is a reminder of their past, as well as an advantage, giving the holders of this proud last name an extra link to their multicultural histories.Order DNA origin analysis
Holibeche: Where does the name Holibeche come from?
Today, the last name Holibeche is most commonly found in the United States. This name has its roots in French-speaking Quebec, as the French spelling “Holibeche” appears in records from the 1600s and 1700s. The name is most likely derived from an old French term for a small cottage or hut.
Over time, the name has spread beyond Quebec and Canada, popping up in records from Algeria, the United Kingdom, the United States, and other countries. In recent centuries, it has become most common in the United States, particularly in Louisiana, where it can be found in newspapers and census records from the late 1800s.
In popular culture, the last name Holibeche has received a bit of attention recently due to the fact that one family from Houma, Louisiana, includes the world’s last known living siblings with the name. This family of nine has been featured in media for their remarkable story, and the Holibeche surname is becoming more widely known.
Despite its somewhat scattered presence across the world, it is clear that the last name Holibeche is firmly rooted in the United States, particularly in Louisiana. In this region of the country, many people with this surname proudly carry on the legacy of their French-Canadian roots.
Variations of the surname Holibeche
The surname Holibeche is thought to be of French origin. It is thought to have been derived from the Latin personal name “Holibeus.” Variants of the surname Holibeche include Holibec, Holbech, Hollibeche, Hollibec, Holdbec, Holdbic, Hollebecq, Hollebecque, Holdbeck and Doche.
Spellings of the surname Holibeche include Hollibeche, Hollebeche, Hollebeeche, Holdbeche, Holdbech, Holdbehcke, Hollebecq, and Hollibec.
Surnames with a similar origin or sound to Holibeche include Hollibough, Hollibaugh, Hollibone, and Hallaback.
While many of the variants and spellings for the surname Holibeche tend to be similar, research has shown that the original surname was derived from the Latin personal name “Holibeus,” and thus the variants of this surname may have slight differences in spelling or pronunciation for various reasons. However, many of these variants, spellings and surnames with a similar origin all appear to have descended from the same basic geographic source of origin.
Famous people with the name Holibeche
- Molly Holbeche: British actress well known for her work in the television sitcom Derry Girls (2016-present)
- Jean Holbeche: British writer and journalist, specializing in leadership and organisational issues
- Tara Holbeche: British business mentor, trainer and executive coach
- David Holbeche: British actor known for his roles in films such as Lincoln (2012), Anna (2019) and The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
- Will Holbeche: British actor known for his work in the films Flying Monsters (2010), Threads (2004) and Starter for 10 (2006)
- Agustin Holbeche: Argentine-Spanish actor famous for films such as Hable con ella (2002), All About My Mother (1999) and Los abrazos rotos (2009)
- Francis Holbeche: British actor known for his roles in The Saint (1997), Wives and Daughters (1999) and Emma (1996)
- Shirley Holbeche: British feminist activist, journalist and publisher
- Nicole Holbeche: British entrepreneur and founder of the No To Self-Harm charity
- Joel Holbeche: British actor known for his roles in Broadchurch (2013-2017) and Doctor Who (2005-2010)