Surname Höpcker - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Höpcker: What does the surname Höpcker mean?
The last name Höpcker is a German surname meaning 'a person who makes pots or containers.' This derives from the German word "Höpke," which translates to "pot" and was originally either an occupational name for someone who made pottery or containers out of clay or a nickname for a person who was good at making or fixing containers. The name can also be spelled in various variations such as Hoepker, Hoepcke, Hoepke, and Hoeppker.
In addition to being a German surname, the name is also popular in other countries, such as Austria and the Netherlands. The surname is also occasionally found amongst English speaking countries, such as the United States, Canada, or Great Britain, usually the result of immigration.
The earliest recorded evidence of the name can be found in medieval German records, with the oldest example dating back to 1297 in Neuenbraugh, Germany. Later, in the mid 1700s, records of the name can be found in the records of Saxony-Anhalt as well as those of Saxony.
The name is an interesting one that gives insight into the livelihoods of those carrying the surname in medieval Germany. Such names can provide us with a unique glimpse into the past, allowing us to gain some insight into the lives and culture of our ancestors.Order DNA origin analysis
Höpcker: Where does the name Höpcker come from?
The last name Höpcker is most common in Germany today. In fact, according to the 2020 surname assessment by the Gesellschaft für Deutsche Sprache, Höpcker is currently the 53rd most common surname in Germany.
Höpcker is a German surname derived from the German word "höppe," which means a small pouch or bag. The prefix "er," which is the masculine form of the article "der," is then added to the word. This creates the surname "Höpcker," which literally means "the little bag man."
The origin of the Höpcker surname most likely comes from an occupational name. Many people in the Middle Ages used a small pouch to carry goods, leading to the creation of a profession that made and sold these sacks. Those who adopted the last name would have been the sacks' popular producers or sellers.
Today, there are several variant spellings of the Höpcker surname, such as Hopcker, Hoeppker, or Hoepker, and can be found in parts of Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and the United States. It has also become popular in Norway, with “Hoeppker” being the 24th most popular last name in the country.
Variations of the surname Höpcker
The surname Höpcker is generally spelled “Hoepcker” or “Hoepker” and can also be spelled “Höpker”, “Hoeppker”, “Höpfker” and “Hoppker”. These spellings are all variations of the same surname and have very slight differences. As a result, these different spellings can be found all across Germany and through many different countries over the centuries.
The Hoepcker surname has also been known by the spellings of Hopker, Hopeker and Hoepker. It is thought that the spelling 'Hopker' or 'Hopeker' is the most popular spelling of the surname in the United States.
Variants of the same Hurpcker surname, can also be found in countries like Austria, Holland, Belgium and France. Other variants that are quite common include Höpfel, Höppler and Höfel.
The origin of the Hoepcker surname is believed to have descended from Germany’s Middle Ages, when the name is thought to have been derived from an Old German personal name which translated to 'Heopger.' It is thought that the surname was primarily borne by farmers and other rural inhabitants in medieval times.
The Hurpcker surname is documented from the 13th century, though it first began to gain popularity across Europe in the 16th century. The varying spellings are thought to expectedly be derived from the pronunciation of the surname as it passed through local dialects over the centuries.
Within Germany, the surname can still be found to this day. It is seen most commonly in the Lower Saxony region, which is located in the northwestern part of the country - where the city of Hamburg is also located.
Famous people with the name Höpcker
- Zachery Höpcker: An American actor, comedian, and rapper known for his popular solo music career and his role on the hit television series, The Office.
- Thomas Höpcker: An Austrian pianist and composer who has worked as an accompanist at a range of music festivals and Chamber Music series.
- Reinhard Höpcker: An Austrian singer and songwriter who has released two albums and earned several awards for his work.
- Franz Höpcker: A full professor of German Studies at the University of Kassel, who is an internationally recognized author and expert on German literature and culture.
- Rennie Höpcker: An American artist who is known for his colorful abstract artwork that has earned him worldwide recognition.
- Liza Höpcker: A former supermodel who has appeared in magazines and advertising campaigns all around the world.
- Markus Höpcker: An Austrian photographer and photojournalist, who has contributed to several national and international magazines.
- Ingrid Höpcker: A Swiss-German film director, writer, and producer, whose films have been nominated for numerous awards.
- Peter Höpcker: A German-American mathematician and professor at the Carnegie Mellon University, who has received several awards for his research into algebraic geometry.
- Bernd Höpcker: An accomplished German athletic coach, well known for his participation in the Olympic Games and World Championships.