Surname Höpfl - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Höpfl: What does the surname Höpfl mean?
The last name Höpfl is a German-language surname meaning “hoop” or “hoop-shaped.” The name likely originated from a topographical feature such as a hill or field, whose shape resembled that of a hoop. It most likely originated in Germany or Austria, where many variants of the name can be found, such as Höpfel, Hoepfle, and Hopfle.
The adjective form of the name, Höpfler, was commonly used as an occupational name for a basket maker in Southern Germany, particularly in the Bavarian and Black Forest regions. It may also have been used to refer to a wheelwright, a cooper, or a person who sold hoops and other small, circular objects.
In modern times, the surname Höpfl, and its variations, is most commonly found in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, as well as in countries with German-speaking communities like Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, and Poland. It is sometimes seen in other countries with German ancestors, such as the United States.
The Höpfl surname is an interesting and unique one, as it can trace its roots back to a topographical feature, as well as a longstanding profession. It’s a reminder of the rich history of southern Germany, and a reminder of the interesting relations between landscape and surnames.Order DNA origin analysis
Höpfl: Where does the name Höpfl come from?
The last name Höpfl is of German origin, and is most commonly found today in Germany. It is estimated that there are more than 1,000 people living in Germany with the last name Höpfl, with the highest concentration of them living in the states of Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg. It is a fairly common name throughout Germany, with other significant numbers of individuals also living in North Rhine-Westphalia, Lower Saxony, Hesse, and Thuringia. Outside of Germany, the last name is found most commonly in Austria, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic, all of which share close linguistic and cultural ties with Germany.
The exact origins of the last name are unclear, but it is suggested that it likely began as a patronymic (derived from the father’s first name) or a habitational (from a place of origin) name. It is possible that the name might even have been derived from the old German word “hopf”, which referred to a plant with hops, used to make beer and other beverages.
Although the last name Höpfl is most prevalent in Germany today, the family is believed to have originated much further back in the Middle Ages, likely from a region of Southwestern Germany. During this time, local feudal lords were able to maintain control over their area by letting those who had shown loyalty to them use a version of the lord’s last name, which could explain why some people now living in Germany have the same last name.
Variations of the surname Höpfl
The surname Höpfl is of German origin. It is a patronymic name derived from the German given name Hopf, which in turn was derived from the Middle High German houbet, meaning head or top. Variations in spelling of this surname include Hoepfl, Hoepfel, Hoepfel, Hoepfl, Hoepfel, Hoepffle, Hopfl, Hopfel, Hopfel, Hoepffl, Hoppfl, Hopf, Hopffle, Hoppfel, Hoppfel, Höppfel, Höppfl, Höppfle, Höffle, Hilpfel, Hilple, Hilpfler, and Hilpfle.
The surname Hoepfel can also be found in countries with German-speaking populations, such as in Austria and Switzerland. In Austria, the surname is spelled Höpfel. The Polish spelling of the surname is Hŏpfl.
Other surnames of similar origin include Hopfgarten, Hopfner, and Hopfengartner. These names were derived from the German given name Hopf, which are descended from the Middle High German houbet, meaning head or top. Other variations of the German surname include Hopp, Hoppe, Hoppel, and Höppner.
The surname Hopfgarten is also found in Austria, Switzerland, as well as countries with German-speaking populations. The surname Hopfner is derived from Middle High German hopfen, meaning hop and is found throughout Germany, Poland, Austria, Hungary, and other countries. The surname Hopfengartner is found in Germany, Austria, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, and Switzerland.
Famous people with the name Höpfl
- Christoph Höpfl: Christoph Höpfl is an Austrian politician who served as a Member of the European Parliament from 2004 to 2014.
- Johannes Höpfl: Johannes Höpfl is a German football manager and former player. He is currently head coach of Greuther Fürth.
- Kurt Höpfl: Kurt Höpfl is a former German football goalkeeper who spent two seasons with SV Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga.
- Markus Höpfl: Markus Höpfl is an Austrian ski racer who competed in the 2002 Winter Olympics.
- Steffen Höpfl: Steffen Höpfl is a German footballer who plays as a striker for FC Ingolstadt.
- Viktor Höpfl: Viktor Höpfl is a former Austrian ski jumper who competed in the 1960 Winter Olympics.
- Franz Höpfl: Franz Höpfl was a German-born economist and industrialist who served as President of the Handelskammer zu Berlin from 1936 until 1945.
- Andrea Höpfl: Andrea Höpfl is a former Austrian alpine skier who competed in the 1984 and 1988 Winter Olympics.
- Niels Höpfl: Niels Höpfl is a German professional ice hockey player who currently plays for HC Frieburg.
- Gerhard Höpfl: Gerhard Höpfl is a retired German football player who played in the German Bundesliga.