Surname Hoppar - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Hoppar: What does the surname Hoppar mean?
The surname "Hoppar" does not have a specific, widely recognized meaning as it is not a common last name. It may have potentially emerged from a particular region, occupation, or ancestral name. Sometimes last names are derived from nicknames or vocational activity. In this case, "Hoppar" could potentially indicate an ancestor who was known for hopping, jumping, or perhaps worked in a profession that required such activity. It has similar phonetics to the English word "Hopper" which could potentially be related to work involving a hopper device in various industries like agriculture or brewing. Nevertheless, the exact origin and meaning of the surname "Hoppar" remains uncertain without additional information on its geographic or cultural history. Every surname has a unique history attached to it and to find definitive information on the last name 'Hoppar', specific genealogical research would be required.
Hoppar: Where does the name Hoppar come from?
The origin of the surname Hoppar is not clearly defined in genealogical records, suggesting that it's relatively rare. However, it might be of English or Celtic origin. The name Hoppar could possibly derive from the word "Hopper" which is an occupational surname for a dancer, acrobat, or someone who played a part in a medieval play that required jumping or hopping.
Another potential source could be topographical, from someone who lived by an enclosed valley or a valley with hopping animals like rabbits. It's also possible that the name has roots in the old Germanic name Hopper, given to someone who lived in or operated a mill.
Without historical documents or linguistic analysis, it's not easy to determine where the surname Hoppar is common today. Since many surnames have migrated over time due to economic, social, or political reasons, it might be spread in small numbers across different regions of the world. However, people carrying surnames with similar phonemes like Hopper can be found more predominantly in England, the United States, and Australia.
Variations of the surname Hoppar
The surname Hoppar seems to have a variety of similar and derived forms. Here are some potential variants:
1. Hooper: This is an English occupational name for someone who made hoops for barrels, from Middle English "hoop", meaning 'hoop', 'band'. Similar surnames include Hoop, Hoops, and Hoopes.
2. Hoopparr: This may be a much more unusual variant, but it retains much of the same phonetic structure and could be a typographic or phonetic error.
3. Hopper: This surname could be an occupational name for a dancer, a hop-picker, or someone who lived by a hop-garden.
4. Harper: While it sounds similar, the origin is different. Harper is an English and Scottish name for a harp player.
5. Happer: This could be a potential typo for Hoppar, though it also has Scottish origins, linked to the name Harper.
6. Hoppe: This is a German variant, possibly derived from the same roots.
7. Hoepfer or Hoepper: These are German occupational surnames for a hop grower or seller.
8. Hoepner or Hoeppner: These are also German variants, coming from the occupation of making hoops.
Remember, surname origins can be complex, as they can be influenced by factors like geographical location, occupation, nickname, patronymic/matronymic, or estate name.
Famous people with the name Hoppar
- Genevieve Hoppar: Genevieve Hoppar is an American writer, editor, and instructor. She is the author of the novels The Red Right Foot and The Crown of the Goblin King, as well as the editor of the The Cunning Folks series.
- Shane Hoppar: Shane Hoppar is a professional stuntman and actor. He has worked in a variety of television shows and films, most notably as a stunt double in the 2012 movie The Amazing Spider-Man.
- Jack Hoppar: Jack Hoppar is a British-American actor, best known for his roles in the movies Return to Nowhere and Tripping.
- Brooke Hoppar: Brooke Hoppar is an American actress, best known for her roles in the television series Still Life and Bohemian Ink.
- Darcy Hoppar: Darcy Hoppar is a Canadian actress, best known for her roles in the television series Hang Time.
- Adam Hoppar: Adam Hoppar is an Australian actor, best known for his roles in the television series Rush and Underbelly.
- Jacob Hoppar: Jacob Hoppar is an American professional basketball player, currently playing for the Brooklyn Nets of the NBA.
- Sarahjane Hoppar: Sarahjane Hoppar is an American fashion designer, best known for her women's runway collection.
- Rudy Hoppar: Rudy Hoppar is a German professional soccer player, currently playing for the FC Union Berlin of the 2. Bundesliga.
- Josephine Hoppar: Josephine Hoppar is a Canadian singer-songwriter, best known for her debut album Shadowboxer.