Surname Maberry - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Maberry: What does the surname Maberry mean?
The surname Maberry is of uncertain origin. It is suggested that it may have derived from a geographical location, like the town of Mayberry in Herefordshire, England or a variation of the Maybury surname. It might be a toponymic surname referring to people who originated from this town. Another possibility is that it could have derived from a personal name becoming a patronymic surname over time. Some genealogists also propose the origin to be Welsh, from the term "mab yr hy", which translates as "son of the knight." In terms of frequency, the Maberry surname is most prevalent in the United States. Surnames can often be traced back several generations and can provide intriguing insights into familial history. The meaning of surnames can also evolve over time or change as the name is handed down and moved across borders. Therefore, it might have varying significance in different cultures and regions.Order DNA origin analysis
Maberry: Where does the name Maberry come from?
The surname Maberry is believed to have its origins in England. It is likely derived from "Maybury," a habitational name from places in Surrey and Cheshire, England. The place name could have derived from the Old English words "maeg(e)," meaning "relative" or "kinsman," and "burh," meaning "fortified place."
Today, the surname Maberry can be found in various places around the world due to family lines' migration over centuries. However, it is most commonly found in the United States of America, principally in the states of Tennessee and Texas. The spread of the surname could be attributed to the colonization era when many moved to North America from Europe. Although not as prevalent, the Maberry surname can still be found in England as well. It's important to note that the distribution of a surname can change over time due to numerous factors.
Variations of the surname Maberry
The surname Maberry is of Welsh origin and has several spelling variations that have evolved over centuries, reflecting regional dialects, different spelling conventions, and linguistic evolution. Some common variants and associated surnames of the same origin include Mayberry, Mabry, Maberry, Mabery, Maberey, Maberre, Mabire, Maberly Moberly, Maybury, and Maybrey. The surname is believed to have derived from the Welsh word for "son of Mab," a personal name. It may also have geographical origins from places named Mabry or Mayberry.
The first recorded spelling of the family name, dating back to the 13th century, is shown to be that of De Moberley. These different variants have popped up in an attempt to phonetically spell the Welsh pronunciation, and over time, they took on a life of their own as distinct surnames. There was also a need to differentiate between different branches of the family as they spread out and settled in various parts of Wales, England, and eventually America.
Famous people with the name Maberry
- Jonathan Maberry: A bestselling novelist and five time Bram Stoker Award-winning author.
- Joe Maberry: A professional football player who played for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1966 to 1973.
- John Maberry: A First Officer in the US Air Force and NASA astronaut.
- Bryant Maberry: An inventor, musician, and entrepreneur.
- Steve Maberry: A professional skateboarder who appeared in the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater video game series.
- Stan Maberry: An active duty airman in the United States Air Force.
- Chris Maberry: A former US Navy officer and the author of the memoir A World Without Heroes.
- Zack Maberry: A former college football player who played as a linebacker for the Florida State Seminoles.
- Robert Maberry: An environmental scientist and professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Jason Maberry: A former minor league baseball pitcher and the author of the book A Game of Inches.
- Jacob Maberry: A professional CrossFit athlete and Gym Jones trainer.
- Johnathan Maberry: A professional wrestler who competed in the Raw and SmackDown brands of World Wrestling Entertainment.