Surname MacEacharn - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
MacEacharn: What does the surname MacEacharn mean?
The last name MacEacharn is a patronymic surname stemming from the original Gaelic form Mac Eachairn. The name is derived from the personal name Eachann, a form of the Gaelic Echdach which is the equivalent of the Latin name Hector. This name was popular in medieval Scotland, and was borne by several legendary figures and literary characters.
Recorded references to MacEacharn include a charter in 1431 which shows that two brothers, Malcum and Duncan MacEachairn, were occupying lands in the Argyllshire. From then on the name spread throughout Scotland, with by the mid-19th century, people with the surname can be found living in Ireland, England, Scotland, Canada, Australia, and the United States.
In Scotland, the MacEacharns were nominally an offshoot of the clan Morrison of the Island of Lewis, but never had a recognised clan chief. Nonetheless, the name is associated with the Isle of Skye, where there are still several notable MacEacharns and their descendants today.
MacEacharn is an ancient name, created long before the development of surnames. It speaks to the shared heritage and history that all people of Scottish ancestry share. Today, it is a name to be proud of, passed down through generations of Scots and a reminder of the importance of identity and ancestry.
MacEacharn: Where does the name MacEacharn come from?
The last name MacEacharn is most common today among people of Scottish descent, particularly those living in Scotland. The name is often spelled MacEachern and Mceachern, making it difficult to pinpoint exactly how many people go by this name. However, some estimates suggest as many as 600 people in Scotland may carry the surname.
MacEacharn comes from the Gaelic MacEachthighearna, meaning “son of Eachthighearna.” Eachthighearna is a personal name that has been associated with a place near Loch Awe in the Highlands. It is believed that the area around Loch Awe was once the home of Clan MacEachthighearna, a clan that disputed the ruling MacDougall family of Lorn in medieval times.
This family and their descendants migrated to other parts of Scotland, including Aberdeenshire and Perthshire. Today, the name is used mainly on the west coast of Scotland, as well as in the Gaelic-speaking communities of the Outer Hebrides and Highlands. There are also some families of MacEacharn in Scotland and Canada who trace their last name to Irish and Highland ancestry.
Variations of the surname MacEacharn
The MacEacharn surname has a variety of variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin. These include MacEachern, MacKeachan, MacKechnie, MacKechane, McEachran, McEachrene, MacIacharn, MacEachern, MacIacharn, MacEachin, MacEakern, MacEcharn, MacIuchan, MacKechen, MacKechin, and MacKechene.
Variant spellings of this surname are commonly found in contemporary use, such as MacEachern, McEachran, and MacKechane. MacEachern is the most popular variant used, and is derived from the original form of the surname, MacEacharn.
MacKechin and MacKechane are also variations on the main MacEacharn name. They are derived from the Gaelic form of MacEacharn, MacIuchan, with the spelling being influenced by the attempts to Anglicize the name. The spelling changes are also result of how the name was pronounced in various areas; for example, MacKechin is used in Scotland and MacKechane is most commonly in use in Canada.
McEachron and MacEachin are rare variants of MacEacharn surname. McEachron is derived from the Irish version of the name, MacEachramhain, and MacEachin is derived from MacEachrain, an older variation of MacEacharn.
The surname MacEacharn is also the Anglicized version of the Irish MacEachramhain, which during the nineteenth century was used in English records to differentiate between Gaelic and English speakers. So although MacEachramhain is sometimes used interchangibly with the standard version, they are in fact separate surnames.
In conclusion, MacEacharn is a popular Gaelic surname with a range of variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin, including MacEachern, McEachran, MacKechin, MacKechane, McEachron, MacEachin, MacIacharn, MacEakern, MacEcharn, MacIuchan, MacKechen, and MacKechene.
Famous people with the name MacEacharn
- Brendan MacEacharn: Brendan is a popular British actor known for his roles in such films as Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Journey's End.
- Malcolm MacEacharn: Malcolm is an acclaimed Scottish sculptor best known for his pieces of art being installed in locations such as Hyde Park in London.
- Kate MacEacharn: Kate is a Canadian-born lawyer who is currently a senior executive at one of Canada's leading law firms.
- Bobby MacEacharn: Bobby is an American professional ice hockey player and NHL rookie who currently plays for the Winnipeg Jets.
- Louisa MacEacharn: Louisa is a British stage and screen actress who has appeared in shows such as The Queen's Gambit and The Crown.
- Sam MacEacharn: Sam is a successful British YouTuber and social media influencer known for his comedic skits, collaborations, and uploads on his channel called SamMac.
- Henrietta MacEacharn: Henrietta is an eminent British biologist, zoologist and conservationist who has dedicated her life to preserving the species.
- Ella MacEacharn: Ella is a talented British pop singer-songwriter and musician, who has achieved success on the international music scene.
- Tristan MacEacharn: Tristan is an Australian model and actor who has graced the covers of major magazines and appeared in marketing campaigns for big brands.
- Harry MacEacharn: Harry is an actor, singer, and musician originally from Scotland who has been performing in both solo and ensemble works for several years.