Surname Marrinan - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Marrinan: What does the surname Marrinan mean?
The surname Marrinan is an Irish surname derived from the Gaelic “O’Mearáin,” meaning “descendent of a follower of Mearáin.” Mearáin is a diminutive of the Irish name “Mear,” which derives from the word for “merriment,” potentially symbolizing a person known for his joyous and lively nature.
Marrinan is most common in County Limerick in Ireland, where it can be traced back several centuries. As the potato famine during the 1840's drove millions of Irish people to flee their homes and go to other areas of the world, Irish families with the Marrinan surname began to take their name to England, North America, and Australia.
Today, the Marrinan surname is still mainly found in the Limerick region of Ireland, as well as scattered throughout England, Australia, New Zealand, and the United States, among many other countries.
Those with the Marrinan surname typically share a rich cultural history, carrying with them the legacy of their Irish roots while still embracing the culture of their current home. It’s a representation not just of a name, but of a culture, and many members of the Marrinan family naturally share a strong sense of kinship regardless of their location.
Marrinan: Where does the name Marrinan come from?
The surname Marrinan is most commonly found in Ireland. It's believed to have originated in County Cork and its variant spellings include Marrenan, Merrigan, Merrinan, and Marrinon.
In modern times, the Marrinan surname is especially popular in the counties of Cork and Tipperary. It's also found in smaller numbers in the pool of Irish surnames which have spread around the world. It's particularly common in England, Australia, and the US.
In the United States, the name Marrinan most likely began appearing in the 19th century, when immigrants from Ireland first started to settle in the United States. Today, the U.S. Census Bureau lists the Marrinan name as the 10,213th most common surname in the U.S., with an estimated 4,600 Marrinans living in the United States.
The Marrinan surname is still fairly rare, and it's not a particularly common name worldwide. However, with its present-day presence in the United States, and its long history in Ireland, it's clear that the Marrinan name is here to stay.
Variations of the surname Marrinan
The surname Marrinan is historically from Ireland, and is mainly found in County Cork. The variants, spellings and surnames of the same origin include Merrinan, Marrenan, Mearinan, Mearningan, Mearingan, Merringan, Meurinan, Murinan, and Murringan.
The Merrinan, Mearinan and Mearingan variations come from the Gaelic word “Meirgean”, meaning “spear”, which was used to refer to someone who might have been a brave warrior, or a great hunter. The Marrenan variation comes from the Gaelic word "Maranna", which refers to a wild boar. This links to the ancient Irish legend of the killing of the great boar by the hero Fionn mac Cumhaill.
The Murrinan and Murringan variations are derived from the Irish word “Muirghean”, which means “sea-born”, and could have been used to describe sailors or sea-faring people. The Meurinan variation is derived from the Gaelic words “Mag” and “Uran”, which together mean “son of the high one”, and were used to denote a chieftain or leader.
Finally, the Merringan variation is derived from the Gaelic words “Magh” and “Rinn” which together mean “plain of the point”, and was used to refer to a person from a rocky point or headland.
Overall, all of the variants and spellings of the Marrinan surname that have been mentioned above have their roots in ancient Irish mythology and refer to traits such as bravery, leadership and seafaring.
Famous people with the name Marrinan
- David Marrinan: Actor from Los Angeles, California known for his work on Some Freaks (2016), Siren (2018), and Seeds of Deception (2017).
- Matt Marrinan: U.S.-based musician, songwriter, and producer in California.
- Andy Marrinan: Professional surfer and founder of the Surf Report Network, which offers daily surf forecasts.
- Ed Marrinan: Former Major League Baseball pitcher who also served as manager of the San Francisco Giants.
- Mike Marrinan: Professional poker player who has earned over $130,000 in live tournament earnings.
- Ann Marrinan: American lawyer and professor who has served as a trustee of the American University System and the American Bar Association.
- Greg Marrinan: Former minor league pitcher and pitching instructor who is the author of several baseball books.
- Dennis Marrinan: American attorney and lobbyist who served as counsel to the White House in the 1970s.
- Bill Marrinan: Former Major League Baseball pitcher who was also the pitching coach of the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1966.
- Sean Marrinan: British-American actor who has appeared in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) and Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017).