Surname Masingo - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Masingo: What does the surname Masingo mean?
The name Masingo is a rare and unique surname, thought to be of Zambian origin, though it is also found in other African countries. The literal translation of Masingo is 'He gathers together' and it is believed that this may refer to a tradition or clan practice of gathering. This could be a reference to bringing in crops, herding of livestock, or gathering for religious practises or special events such as weddings and funerals.
Masingo is thought to be a name of the Zambian Bemba people, one of the largest ethnic groups in the country. The Bemba are known for their strong devotion to relationships and cultural customs, often gathering together for religious ceremonies and celebrations. These are often referred to as 'Masingo Events'.
The last name Masingo can also be considered to indicate prosperity and financial security. It could be a reference to the practice in some Bemba tribes of purchasing a parental blessing for a son to ensure their success in life and financial security.
The name Masingo might also be seen as an indication of strength and unity. People with the last name Masingo often display a strong sense of solidarity and cooperation. This sense of unity and reliance on one another for success is something that is shared by many Bemba cultures.
The name Masingo is rare but distinct, and deserves to be remembered as an indication of community strength, gathering and success.
Masingo: Where does the name Masingo come from?
The last name Masingo is commonly found in East African countries such as Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, and Rwanda. In some cases, the name is also found in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Masingo is not a very common name outside of Africa, though an analysis of surnames in Canada and the United States reveals a small number of people with Masingo as a last name.
The word "Masingo" is derived from either the Lingala, used by many people in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, or the Masai language spoken by pastoralist communities across East Africa. Its original meaning is not known, however some people believe it either refers to a village, a person who delivers messages, or a person who disseminates news.
The Masingo family is considered to be an extended family and is found in different villages across the sub-Saharan African region. Those who carry the name would often work together in various ways like culturing land or providing food and security for the village.
In modern times, the family name Masingo is still very much alive and it remains a source of pride for those who carry it. Communities of Masingos are found mainly in the rural areas of East Africa where the traditional language, traditions, and cultural values are kept alive to this day.
Variations of the surname Masingo
The surname Masingo is derived from the Nguni language of South Africa, and can be spelled and spelled out in several different ways.
Its variants include: Masengo, Masinzo, Masango, Masinga, Masinso, Masingu, and Masingo. It can also be spelt with a “d” or an “e” instead of the “g”, as in Masindo, Masendo, and Masenedo.
Some surnames of the same origin include: Maserengo, Masakana, Masepe, Masombuka, Masoga, and Masimula.
Other spellings that may be related to the surname Masingo include Maswingo, Maswango, and Mazengo.
Generally, the surname Masingo is believed to represent a “richness of life”, which is reflected in the different variants associated with it. It is thought to have originated in the Xhosa and Zulu tribes of South Africa, and over time, spread to other parts of the continent and around the world.
Overall, the various spellings and variations of the surname Masingo represent a shared heritage, and are a reminder of generations of people with a vibrant cultural identity that is often expressed through language.
Famous people with the name Masingo
- Gift Masingo: Gift Masingo is a South African actress best known for her role in the hit series This is Us.
- Mazwai Masingo: Mazwai Masingo is a South African filmmaker and entrepreneur, best known for his short documentary New Lands.
- Joseph Masingo: Joseph Masingo is a professional African footballer who currently plays as a midfielder for the Zambian side, ZESCO United.
- Khoarai Masingo: Khoarai Masingo is a South African television and film actor best known for roles in popular series such as Isibaya and Isithembiso.
- Dennis Masingo: Dennis Masingo is a Kenyan musician, songwriter and producer, best known as the frontman of the band Mazungu.
- Toby Masingo: Toby Masingo is a South African comedian and actor best known for his roles in popular films such as Kalushi and The Run.
- Kenneth Masingo: Kenneth Masingo is a Kenyan entrepreneur and investor, best known for his research on cybersecurity and blockchain technology.
- Moleboheng Masingo: Moleboheng Masingo is a South African singer and songwriter best known for her singles “Funa Okazi” and “Thulakele.”
- Beauty Masingo: Beauty Masingo is a Zimbabwean artist and painter, best known for her mixed media artworks exploring themes of migration and identity.
- Mathata Masingo: Mathata Masingo is a Botswana poet and novelist, best known for her collections of poetry, Fragments of Time and Watercolours of the Desert.