Surname McEntee - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
McEntee: What does the surname McEntee mean?
The last name McEntee is of Irish origin and is an anglicized form of the Gaelic name "Mac an tSaoi," which translates to "son of the scholar." It combines the elements "Mac," which means "son of", with "tSaoi," the genitive form of "saoi" signifying "scholar" or "wise man." This suggests that the original bearers of the name were likely descendants of a respected scholar or academic, indicating a family history associated with educational pursuits, wisdom, or intellectual ability. Like many Irish surnames, it also has a variant spelling, MacEntee. This surname seems to be most popular in County Monaghan in the Republic of Ireland.
McEntee: Where does the name McEntee come from?
The surname McEntee is of Irish origin and it is an anglicized form of the Gaelic name "Mac an tSaoi," which means "son of the scholar." The prefix ‘Mac’ in Gaelic denotes 'son of'. This surname is usually associated with the Ulster province, particularly in areas of County Monaghan and County Fermanagh.
Today, the McEntee name is common in Ireland, in particular its origin areas in Ulster. It can also be found among Irish diaspora around the world, especially in English-speaking countries like the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia which have a significant population of individuals with Irish ancestry. It is not as densely populated as other Irish surnames but has made its mark globally due to immigration over the centuries. It's also worth noting that variations of the surname exist, including McEntea and McEntegart among others.
Variations of the surname McEntee
The surname McEntee is traditionally of Irish origin. It arises from the Gaelic "Mac an tSaoi" which means "son of the scholar". The surname suggests that the original bearers were from a learned family or worked in a scholarly profession.
Variants and alternate spellings of McEntee can include MacEntee, M'Intee, M'Entee, M'Enetee, M'Antee, McIntee, and Mcentee. However, the exact spellings could vary significantly because names were often recorded as they sounded, therefore they were susceptible to many different interpretations. In the 17th century, many Irish families anglicized their names, thus creating various distinct spellings.
Some surnames of the same origin may not seem connected, as their anglicized forms could drastically alter the original Irish surnames. Nevertheless, these variations can be traced back to the original Gaelic form.
It’s also worth mentioning that identifying surnames of the same origin as McEntee can be complicated. Different families with the same surname might not share a common ancestor, and may have acquired the name independently. Yet typically, most people bearing the McEntee surname or its variants, will find their roots in Ireland.
Famous people with the name McEntee
- Tucker McEntee: American YouTube creator and former competitive figure skater.
- Collin McEntee: American ice dancer who has competed prominently with the United States Figure Skating Association.
- Danny McEntee: American professional lacrosse player and two-time world champion.
- Cody McEntee: Professional baseball pitcher who has played in the minor leagues since 2019.
- Evan McEntee: American musician, songwriter, and producer known as a founding member of the band Ludo.
- Kelly McEntee: Professional beach volleyball player.
- Ryan McEntee: American professional ice hockey player.
- Grant McEntee: Multi-platinum record producer who has worked with many popular singers and bands.
- William McEntee: Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross.
- Nick McEntee: American actor and model known for his roles in the films Please Kill Me and Vampires Suck.