Surname McFaddan - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
McFaddan: What does the surname McFaddan mean?
The surname McFaddan is an anglicized form of the Gaelic Mac Phaidin, which means "son of little Patrick". This name is common in Counties Donegal and Derry in Ireland. The 'Mc' prefix in Irish names typically denotes "son of", while 'Faddan' derives from 'Phaidin', a diminutive form of the popular forename Patrick. Therefore, the surname effectively conveys lineage or descent from a patriarchal figure, specifically a "Patrick". The name Patrick has roots in Latin and means “nobleman” or "patrician". Thus, the surname McFaddan essentially consolidates these familial and locational ties, reflecting Ireland's cultural and social history. Variations of this surname include McFadden, MacFadden, MacFadyen, and Fadden among others. Much like other patronymic surnames, McFaddan can offer a glimpse into past generations' familial and tribal affiliations, geographical origins, and social status.
McFaddan: Where does the name McFaddan come from?
The last name McFaddan is of Gaelic origin from Ireland. It is derived from the Gaelic name 'Mac Pháidín', meaning 'son of little Patrick'. The prefix 'Mac' or 'Mc' generally indicates 'son of' in Irish and Scottish surnames. Though there were multiple spellings of the surname, over time it became standardized to ‘McFaddan’.
The family's homeland was in County Donegal, situated in Ulster province in the northern part of the island. However, because of the historical Irish Diaspora, the surname has spread across the globe, particularly to English-speaking countries. Indeed, the McFaddan surname can still be found in Ireland today, albeit not in high numbers.
In the present day, the surname is most common in the United States, due to migration during the 18th and 19th centuries. It's also found in Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. A general caution is that the name's spelling can vary greatly, including McFadden, MacFadyen, McFaddin, and others. Therefore, data about the surname's prevalence may be inconsistent.
Nevertheless, the surname maintains its roots to its Irish origin while simultaneously symbolizing the historical Irish emigration worldwide.
Variations of the surname McFaddan
The surname McFaddan is of Irish origin and it has several variants and alternative spellings. Common variants include McFadden, McFadin, McFadyen, MacFadden, and MacFadyen. Sometimes, the prefix can also be "Mac" instead of "Mc" or it might be totally omitted, resulting in names like Fadden, Faden or Fadin.
There are also phonetic variants, which are surnames that were spelt as they sounded made up by immigration officials or by immigrants themselves when they moved to new countries. For example, the name can be written as Faden or Faddin.
As for the surnames of the same origin, they can stem from the Gaelic names Mac Pháidín or Mac Pheadáin, meaning "son of little Patrick". Surnames like Patrick, Paden or Padden might be related. The variations of this surname largely reflect the historical relationship between Ireland and Scotland, and the dispersion of Irish and Scottish people through migration to countries like the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. Therefore, the spelling often differs due to region and local pronunciation.
Famous people with the name McFaddan
- Donald McFaddan: a former American professional basketball player who was drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers in 1988.
- Bob McFaddan: a former Major League Baseball pitcher.
- Sandy McFaddan: a former professional lacrosse player for the New York Titans and National Lacrosse League's Rochester Knighthawks.
- John McFaddan: a former professional hockey player who played in the National Hockey League (NHL) for three seasons from 1960 to 1962.
- Harry McFaddan: a former professional Canadian football player who played for the Calgary Stampeders in the Canadian Football League (CFL).
- Donna McFaddan: a professional hammer thrower and triple jumper who competed for Canada in the 1984 Summer Olympics.
- Doug McFaddan: a former professional ice hockey player who played three games in the National Hockey League for the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Terri McFaddan: an American artist who specializes in painting and mixed-media works.
- Joe McFaddan: an American aerospace engineer and the former chairman of the Aerospace Industries Association.
- Mary McFaddan: an American sculptor and painter best known for her work in clay and stone.