Surname Mellino - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Mellino: What does the surname Mellino mean?
The surname Mellino is of Italian origin. However, its specific meaning is not clear as it does not have a direct translation in Italian. This could suggest that Mellino is a geographical, occupational, or patronymic surname – deriving from a place name, a profession, or a paternal ancestor respectively. It is more common in the southern part of Italy, specifically in the region of Campania. It's important to note that surnames in Italy often signify origins or professions and meanings can be complex due to the influence of various languages and dialects throughout history. Detailed family records, if available, would provide the most accurate interpretation of the surname Mellino.
Mellino: Where does the name Mellino come from?
The last name Mellino is of Italian origin and is most commonly found in the Southern region of Italy. The Italian name is derived from the Latin name "melinus", meaning honey, and is indicative of sweet and gentle people.
The name is found throughout the Italian peninsula and can be found in places such as Sicily, Campania, Lazio, Puglia, Emilia Romagna, and Lombardy. It is also found in the countries of Malta, France, and Spain. In the United States, those with the surname Mellino can be found mostly in New York, California, New Jersey, and the Midwestern states. The name is also found in Canada, particularly in Montreal and Toronto.
Based on records from the US Census Bureau, the Mellino surname had a global population of roughly 2,200 people in 2000, with more than 750 residing in the United States alone. By May 2020, the population had grown to more than 4,000 people with the majority living in the United States.
In general, the last name Mellino is relatively uncommon, but it is still present in several places around the world. Those bearing the name typically trace their heritage to the early Italian settlers who left their homeland and ventured out around the world.
Variations of the surname Mellino
The variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin for Mellino are Meline, Mellini, Méline, Mélini, Melini, Mellino, and Millino. All of these surnames have French or Italian roots, which suggests that the surname likely originated in either France or Italy.
Méline and Mélini are the original French versions of the name. These variants of Mellino are still fairly common in France today.
Meline is the English version of the French Méline, and is also a common variant of the last name.
Mellini and Melini are the Italian variants of the name, which has French roots. The more common variation of that name in Italy is Millino, which is why it is often seen on Italian graves or on family trees.
The Mellino surname is likely derived from either the Latin word Mellinus, meaning “ball of wax”, or the French word melin, which means “little mill”. The surname could also have originated from the name of an ancestor who worked in one of these occupations, or those who were related to them.
It is believed that the Mellino name likely made its way to the United States through immigration. As of 2020, the surname Mellino is most commonly found in California, New York, Florida, and Texas.
Famous people with the name Mellino
- Frank Mellino: a renowned jazz singer, composer, bandleader, and businessman from the 1940s and 50s.
- Patty Mellino: a successful singer, composer, and actress who had several major hits in the 1960s and 70s.
- Mike Mellino: a former NFL player and coach, having a successful 11-season career with the Los Angeles Rams.
- Charles "Chick" Mellino: the all-time leader in wins for the National League's Philadelphia Phillies.
- Chris Mellino: a multi-platinum selling producer/songwriter for major recording artists such as Mariah Carey, Usher, Flo Rida, and Christina Aguilera.
- Robert Mellino: a noted real estate developer in the South Florida area, having been awarded numerous accolades for his pioneering works.
- Ed Mellino: a pioneering editor and filmmaker who has won an Emmy, an Academy Award, numerous Peabody Awards, and two Pulitzer Prize nominations.
- Irina Mellino: a celebrated classical pianist and musicologist, with studio albums reaching the Top 20 classical charts in Europe.
- Arthur Mellino: an internationally acclaimed painter and sculptor of classic Italian art.
- Alessandro Mellino: a renown Italian composer, producer, and multi-gold and platinum award-winning artist.