Surname Merante - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Merante: What does the surname Merante mean?
The last name Merante is of Italian origin. Like many Italian surnames, it is derived from an occupation or a place of residence. It has several possible meanings depending on the region and dialect. One interpretation suggests that it comes from the Italian word "maranta," which means a kind of prayer or supplication. Another possibility is that it originated from a place name where the ancestors lived. It is prevalent in the regions of Calabria and Sicily in Southern Italy. Despite its origins and meanings, surnames often got altered because of immigration and regional dialect differences, so it might have variations in different places and over time. Today, people bearing the last name Merante are found in different parts of the world, especially in countries like the United States, Brazil, Argentina, and Australia, reflecting the history of Italian diaspora. Therefore, tracing the exact meaning of the surname might be challenging without specific ancestral data.
Merante: Where does the name Merante come from?
The surname Merante is of Italian origin. It is derived from the personal name Merante, which itself has been suggested to be a variant of the Greek name Meiranthi, or the French name Miranta. The surname may have also originated as a nickname based on the Medieval Latin term "merens" which translates to "deserving".
Merante, like many Italian surnames, is most common in Italy - specifically, it is predominantly found in the southern regions of the country such as Calabria. However, due to extensive Italian migration in the 19th and 20th centuries, the surname has also spread to other parts of the world. Descendants with the Merante surname can be found in the United States, Canada, and various parts of Europe where Italian diaspora communities have settled. Even with its dispersion, the name maintains its highest concentration in Italy.
Variations of the surname Merante
The surname Merante is of Italian origin, specifically from the southern regions of Calabria and Sicily. Alternate spellings and variations of this surname may differ based on regional dialects or individual family histories. Potential spellings could include Meranti, Mirante, Merantei, Merantis among others.
Although not exactly similar, other Italian surnames such as Mirenti, Morante or Marante might be loosely connected due to shared linguistic roots. Some families might use the Lombardic suffix "-enti" or "-anti" instead of "-ante," altering the surname to Merenti or Meranti.
Surname variants often occur when families emigrate to new countries. Thus, immigrants could Anglicize their last name for easier pronunciation or spelling upon moving, leading to versions like Merantee, Meranty or Merrant.
As patronymic or matronymic surnames are typical in Italy, the "de" prefix (meaning 'of') could be added before the surname (as in De Merante), indicating that the individual is 'of the Merante family.' This may also appear as D'Merante or Di Merante. However, a comprehensive genealogical research would effectively uncover the various existing variants, spellings, and potentially connected surnames linked to Merante.
Famous people with the name Merante
- Joe Merante: is an American football coach who currently serves as the head coach of the Penn State Nittany Lions football team of the Big Ten Conference.
- Matthew Merante: is an American former professional baseball pitcher who played in Major League Baseball from 1998 through 2007.
- Joseph Merante: is a retired soccer player from the United States who was a defender and midfielder.
- Darryl Merante: is an American former professional basketball player who most notably played for the Philadelphia 76ers of the National Basketball Association.
- Gabe Merante: is an American film and television actor who has starred in films such as Lethal Weapon IV, Three Kings, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, and Annabelle Comes Home.
- Paola Merante: is an Italian actress, beauty pageant titleholder and singer. She was Miss Italia in 1997 and the winner of the TV series Il ballo delle debuttanti.
- Ignatius Merante: is an American musician and former actor at the McCarter Theatre at Princeton, New Jersey.
- William Merante: is an American former professional ice hockey player who played for the New York Rangers and Minnesota North Stars in the mid-1970s and '80s.
- Julie Merante: is an American actress who began her professional career on Broadway before moving on to television and film.
- Jack Merante: is an American musician, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist who is best known for his membership in the rock band The Hiss.