Surname Milder - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Milder: What does the surname Milder mean?
The last name Milder originates from German roots and is derived from the old Germanic word 'Mueller'. Mueller was an occupational name, and referred to people who worked as millers, which was a common occupation throughout Europe during the Middle Ages. It was derived from the word 'mulen', which was the old German word for mill.
Today, Patton Milder is a common name, and is used all over the world to refer to people of German descent. The name is derived from the old German word and is used to signify someone who millers or grinds grain, or someone whose profession is to perform such tasks.
The last name 'Milder' is often used to describe a person as being level headed, patient, and rational. It is associated with qualities of intelligence and trustworthiness. It is believed that members of the family who take on this last name regularly show qualities associated with their profession like precision and reliability.
The last name Milder is still quite common, and is used by families in Germany as well as other parts of Europe and the United States. It is a name that is respected in both social and professional circles, and often associated with fairness and sound judgement.
Milder: Where does the name Milder come from?
The last name Milder is most commonly found in countries where Ashkenazi Jewish populations have settled. This is because Milder is derived from the German and Yiddish word for honey, "mild".
In Europe, Milder has been found in Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Poland, Russia, and Ukraine. In the United States it has been found in the states of New York, New Jersey, California, Illinois, Minnesota, and Kansas. Canada's provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, and Quebec have also seen the name.
In recent years, Israel has been home to many people with the last name Milder, as Ashkenazi Jewish immigrants from Europe came to Israel during the 19 and 20 centuries. Latin American countries such as Mexico and Brazil also have a large concentration of Milders due to the influx of Jewish immigrants.
In recent years, Milder has even made its way to Australia, as has been increasingly given to infants since the early 2000s. Here, the name can be found in the regions of New South Wales and Victoria.
In total, the name Milder can be found in countries on five different continents, making it quite a global name with an interesting history.
Variations of the surname Milder
The surname Milder is of ancient German origins and has many variants, spellings, and surnames of similar origin.
Milder can be spelled in many ways including Milter, Miltner, Miltenberger, Müllner, Miltenhofer, Müllenberger, and Milteer.
The surnames Miltz and Meltzer are believed to have descended from the same ancient name. Miltz may be a variation of Milder, most likely because the initial letter of every word of the last name was changed from M to K. Meltzer, on the other hand, may have come from the name Milter, combined with a diminutive suffix -er.
The name Montwiler is also believed to be of the same origin as it is a combination of Milter and a topographic suffix -wiler. This indicates that the original bearer of “Montwiler” was someone from a locality called ".
Similarly, the surnames Milburn, Millburn, and Mulburn have their roots in names beginning with Mild, most likely taken from old Scandinavian and Anglo-Saxon words meaning “mildness” or “gentleness”.
Another related name is Miltrup, believed to be taken from Miltercombine with the Low German word “trup” which means “living place” or “settlement”.
Overall, the surname Milder is derived from the ancient German name and is associated with various variants, spellings, and other surnames of similar origin. These include Miltz, Meltzer, Montwiler, Milburn, Millburn, Mulburn, and Miltrup.
Famous people with the name Milder
- Robert Milder: Robert Milder is a British-American character actor, known for his appearances in films such as Any Given Sunday, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, and the television series Law & Order.
- Jeff Milder: Jeff Milder is a contemporary metal sculptor. He is best known for his work in abstract and subject-based sculpture.
- Jordan Milder: Jordan Milder is an American actor known for his roles in The Vampire Diaries and One Tree Hill.
- Neil Milder: Neil Milder is an American artist whose works have been exhibited in galleries and museums around the world. He is best known for his abstract paintings.
- Yvonne Milder: Yvonne Milder is a professional body painter, makeup artist and stylist. She has worked for various fashion brands and runway shows.
- Annette Milder: Annette Milder is a Swedish soprano opera singer.
- Heidi Milder: Heidi Milder is a Canadian actress. She has appeared in films such as December Boys and Jacob's Ladder.
- Tim Milder: Tim Milder is an American actor, best known for his roles in films such as Big Daddy and The Object of My Affection.
- Stephan Milder: Stephan Milder is a German actor, best known for playing the lead in several television series.