Surname Montante - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Montante: What does the surname Montante mean?
The last name Montante is a Spanish surname that derives from the Latin montanus, which means “mountain”. It was likely given to an ancestor who lived in a mountainous location, or perhaps someone related to someone or something associated with mountains. Montante can also be interpreted as “great mountain”, suggesting a particularly impressive peak.
Traditionally, the Montante name was considered to be one of honor, nobility, and strength, all attributes associated with the rugged and stately form of a mountain. It was also often associated with qualities of leadership, as mountains were often seen as commanding figures that had to be overcome in order to reach success or make a journey.
The Montante family originally originated in various towns of Spain, including Villagarcia, Madrid, Vigo, Barcelona, Canet de Mar, and Murcia. Today, variants of Montante are found throughout the world, particularly in regions with large Hispanic populations.
In addition to the surname, the Montante is also the name of a type of two-handed sword that is distinguished by its long, narrow blade. It was popular in various places, from the Byzantines to the Middle Ages, and was known for its precision and rapid strikes. The Montante sword symbolizes a proud heritage and signifies the strength and determination of its ancestral bearer.
Montante: Where does the name Montante come from?
The surname Montante is most common in southern Italy, particularly in the Calabria region. It is also recorded in the historical provinces of Campania, Puglia and Tuscany, as well as cities such as Rome and Naples. In the rest of the world, the most frequent locations of people with this surname are Argentina, Brazil, Canada, France and the United States.
In North America, those with the surname Montante can be primarily found in the United States, especially among the populations of New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and California. In 2020, the surname was the 11,726th most common name in the United States, making it a relatively uncommon one. Within New York City, Montante is most common in Brooklyn.
In South America, the surname is most prominent in Argentina, where it is the 113,737th most common name in the country. Brazil also has a significant population of Montante, where it is the 154,047th most common surname.
Finally, in Europe, the surname is most common in France, where it is the 8,905th most common name in the country. It is also found in smaller numbers in other European countries such as Germany, Spain and Portugal.
Variations of the surname Montante
The surname Montante, also spelled Montanti, has several other spellings and surnames of the same origin. Montanti and Montante both originate from the Italian region of Abruzzo, a mountainous area close to the Adriatic Sea. Variants of this surname can often be encountered as Montantti, Montantte, Montanto, Muntantti, Muntante, Muntanti and Montanto, among others. Other more exotic spellings are Montantino, Montamine, Montini, Monticello, Montanari, Monticelli, Montemaggi and Cantante.
The variations of Montante suggest that the surname was initially derived from the Italian word “montante” meaning “mountain” or “highland”. The act of residing in the mountains could have therefore been a source of pride and honor for the person adopting the surname. Montante eventually evolved into Montanti and Montate, but both surnames also had the same origin.
Many Montante families are also well known for their Italian lineage. This is primarily due to the fact that the surname has been widely passed down through the generations, originating from the northern city of Milan. Additionally, the surname is also found in various parts of South America, particularly in Argentina.
In conclusion, Montante is a surname with many variants, spellings and surnames of the same origin. Its variations are mostly found in Italy, South America, and the United States, and many Montante families are known for their strong Italian heritage.
Famous people with the name Montante
- Phil Montante Jr.: Phil Montante Jr. was the president of Montante Solar in Buffalo, New York, founded in 2006. Over the years, the company grew from a small family-run business to one which served commercial and residential clients, earning a stellar reputation in the industry.
- Joe Montante: Joe Montante is a renowned architectural preservationist from Buffalo, New York. He has worked diligently to preserve historic buildings and landmarks in the area, and his dedication to the cause has earned him numerous awards from various organizations.
- David Montante: David Montante is a professional tennis player from Buffalo, New York. He was ranked the No. 471 singles player in the world in 2017. He has achieved success on the courts and is making a name for himself in the tennis world.
- Victor Montante: Victor Montante is a philanthropist and respected business leader from Buffalo. He is the chairman and CEO of Montante Financial Services, which serves clients throughout the United States. He is also active in many philanthropic and charitable causes.
- Mark Montante: Mark Montante is an actor, writer, and director from Buffalo, New York. He has appeared in several plays, television shows, and films over the years. He is also an advocate for local theatre companies, and often performs on their stages during the holidays.
- Mary Montante: Mary Montante is a renowned ceramic artist from Buffalo, New York. Her unique and delicate pieces have earned her recognition throughout the art world and she has been featured in many galleries. Her work often celebrates the natural beauty of Buffalo and its surrounding areas.