Surname Morrisey - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Morrisey: What does the surname Morrisey mean?
Morrisey is a surname of Irish origin. It is an anglicized form of the Gaelic Ó Muirgheasa meaning "descendants of Muirgheas". The name Muirgheas is derived from "muir" meaning sea and "geis" meaning action or enterprise, so it may suggest an adventurous or enterprising mariner. The Morrisey surname has variations including Morrissey, Morrissy, and Morse which are common in Ireland, particularly in County Cork and County Kerry. As with many surnames, the spelling and format can change over time and with migration, but they often retain their original meanings rooted in traits, professions, or family characteristics. Over the centuries, many people with the Morrisey surname have immigrated to other countries, contributing to the global spread of the name. It is important to note that meanings of surnames can vary and might not hold relevance to every family with the same surname.
Morrisey: Where does the name Morrisey come from?
The last name Morrisey is most commonly associated with Ireland and Great Britain today. The name originated in Ireland, and likely was derived from the Irish surname Mac Muiris. This surname later became Anglicized into "Morrissey." According to records, the Morrisey surname was found mostly in counties Belfast, Cork, Sligo, Laois, Wexford, Galway, and Down in Ireland.
It is estimated that approximately 3,000 individuals with the last name Morrisey currently reside in Ireland, making the name more common in the country than in other parts of the world. Historically, the frequency of the surname was greatest in the northern and southern regions of Ireland. Today, however, it is dispersed all over the country.
In Great Britain, about 6,000 individuals have the last Morrisey, and the highest concentrations of the family are found in England, particularly in Greater London, Birmingham, Liverpool, and Lancashire. It is estimated that the number of individuals with the Morrisey surname has doubled since the mid-1800s.
The name is also found in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, although in much lower numbers than what is observed in Ireland and Great Britain.
Variations of the surname Morrisey
Morrisey is an Irish surname that can be found in both its original form, as well as a number of variants and spellings such as Morris, Morrissy, Morissy, Moriarty, Morisco, Morrice, Morrissey, Morrey, Morreye, Morry, and Morrice.
The original form of the name has been found in both England and Ireland, but is most commonly associated with the Irish surnames stemming from Morrissey and is a combination of the Irish Gaelic pre-12th century terms "mor" meaning "large" and "uisce" meaning "water". This combination is often translated to mean "great" or "mighty sea". Through the centuries, the spelling of the name has changed to reflect the various dialects and languages that have influenced its spelling.
There are a number of surnames that originated as variants of the original Morrisey name. Morris is the most commonly accepted variant of the name. This variant of the name can vary, with some common spellings being Morrissy, Morissy, Moriarty, Morisco, and Morrissey. Other variants and spelling of the name include Morrey, Morreye, Morry, and Morrice.
Whichever variant or spelling of the Morrisey name is used, it is clear that the name has been long associated with Irish origin. This connection is further reinforced by the various meanings behind the name's individual components, with together being understood to signify courage and strength.
Famous people with the name Morrisey
- Steven Morrissey: also known simply as Morrissey, is an English singer, songwriter, and author. He rose to prominence as the lead singer of the Smiths, a rock band with whom he released three albums. His solo career began in the late 1980s and his subsequent work has shifted between various indie rock, britpop, and some electronic styles.
- Joe Morrissey: is an American lawyer and former Virginia State Senator from Richmond. He served in the senate between 2007 and 2020 and has also served as the Richmond Commonwealth's Attorney.
- David Morrissey: is an English actor known for his roles in films such as Blackpool, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, State of Play, and The Reaping. He is also well known for his television roles in Walking Dead, Sense8, Line of Duty, and Red Riding.
- Koya Morrissey: is an American actress and daughter of actor Steven Morrissey.
- Benjamin Morrissey: is an Australian politician elected to the Western Australian Legislative Council in the 2017 state election as a representative for the North Metropolitan Region.
- Edward Morrissey: is a retired American politician who represented the 1st district of New Jersey in the United States House of Representatives from 1983 to 1989.
- Jason Morrissey: is an Australian comedian and radio presenter whose career spans radio, television and live stand-up. He is currently a presenter on the national radio network Triple M.
- Patrick Morrissey: is an American politician and attorney from the state of Wisconsin. He is a member of the Wisconsin State Senate, representing the 17th District since 2019.