Surname Muse - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Muse: What does the surname Muse mean?
The surname Muse is derived from the term "muse" in Greek mythology. The Muses were nine goddesses who were the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne, the goddess of memory. These ladies were considered the personifications of knowledge and the arts, especially literature, dance and music. Therefore, the Muse surname might suggest that the initial bearers were artistic, knowledgeable, or perhaps identified as entertainers or scholars. It is also interesting that in modern English, the term "muse" refers to a person or object that serves as an artist's inspiration, giving the Muse surname additional artistic connotations. As a topographical surname, it is also possibly linked to places named Muse found in France and the United States, hence implying that the bearers hailed from such locations. As with many surnames, its specific meaning can vary based on historical and family context.
Muse: Where does the name Muse come from?
The last name Muse is most commonly found in the United States. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Muse is the 2,521st most common surname among households in the United States. It is more prevalent in the South and parts of the Midwest. Geographically, Muse is most commonly found in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, North Carolina and Virginia. The name is also found in large numbers in the Eastern U.S., particularly in the Appalachian regions, where multiple variations of the name Muse are found. In other countries, Muse is also found in small parts of England, Scotland and other Northern European countries.
Muse is thought to have come from the Old French “moussier,” meaning one who profits. The name is likely derived from Middle English and Anglo-Norman French and was used in a patronymic manner. While many may assume the name came from religion or faith due to its sound, it is not related to any particular faith and does not have a modern religious connection.
It is speculated that the Muse surname first immigrated to the United States when a Mr. Muse and his family came from Nantes, France, via direct immigration to Pennsylvania in 1741.
Variations of the surname Muse
The surname Muse is believed to be of English and French origin and has multiple variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin. In some cases, the name was derived by the Latin word “mussius” meaning ‘miller’. This was then anglicized to give us the surname Muse.
Variants for the surname Muse include Moos, Mousse, Mouse, Muss, Musse, Muszel. There are also spelling variations such as Mus, Musa, Meus, Meuse, Mouce, Moos, and Moosse.
Mues, Musea, Meusa are some of the surnames connected to the Muse surname.
After migrating to other countries, such as the United States, Canada, and Australia, the spelling variations of the original Muse surname began to evolve. Some of these spellings include Meuse, Musse, and Moos.
The surname Muse is found throughout Europe, especially in the UK, France, Netherlands, Germany, and Belgium. It is also found in the United States, Australia, and Canada. All of these countries have variations of the Muse surname.
In addition, because of the various dialects, some spelling variations for Muse are found in the European regions. This includes Mousser, Musso, and Musses.
There are many variations of the surname Muse found throughout the world and each variant has its own unique origin. All of these spellings, however, share a common origin and history with the original Muse surname.
Famous people with the name Muse
- Matthew Bellamy: He is a British singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and composer, who is best known as the frontman, lead vocalist, and principal songwriter of the rock band Muse.
- Emily Muse: She is an Emmy Award winning television host, writer, content creator, and fitness enthusiast.
- Jen Musseveld: She is a European wrestling champion, mixed martial artist, and model.
- Carsten Musse: He is a Dutch rower who has won 14 national titles and 11 World Cup medals.
- Rufus Musse: He is a legendary Serbian folk hero, who is believed to be a warrior who fought against the Ottoman Empire in the 1660s.
- Nicki Minaj: She is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, and actress. Her birth name is Onika Tanya Maraj-Muse.
- Jenna Muse: She is an American actress and singer.
- Yung Musse: He is a Chicago hip-hop artist and entrepreneur.
- James Musse: He is a British certified accountant and business advisor, currently serving as the Director of Technology for the London Stock Exchange Group.
- Robert Musse: He is a German film director, screenwriter, and film producer.
- Dr. Imani Muse: She is an American entrepreneur, author, and motivational speaker.
- Maurice Muse: He is an American entrepreneur, author, and philanthropist.