Surname Paape - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'P'
Paape: What does the surname Paape mean?
The last name Paape is a German surname that originated in the region of Oldenburg in northwestern Germany. The name is believed to be derived from the German words “pap” and “pe”, which together mean “from the marsh” or “from the pool”. This could suggest that the original bearer of the name lived near a swamp or body of water, or that their ancestors did.
The surname has a range of possible spellings, including Pape, Papee, and Pompe. It has been used as a given name in the U.S. since the mid-19th century, with some variants listed as early as 1840.
In recent history, the surname has been associated with prominent political figures in Germany, such as Hans Christian Pape, a German lawyer and politician, and Ernst August Pape, a Professor of Anatomy at the University of Leipzig for 40 years.
Today, the surname Paape is a fairly common one in Germany, although families carrying the name can also be found in different regions of the world, due to immigration. The most common spelling of the name is Pape, with nearly 8,000 individuals listed in Germany’s telephone directory bearing this spelling.Order DNA origin analysis
Paape: Where does the name Paape come from?
The last name Paape is most commonly found in Germany, especially in the states of North Rhine-Westphalia and Lower Saxony. The surname is believed to have originated in the Lower Rhine region around the mid-14th century. Records show that it was a popular name among Dutch Mennonites, who emigrated from the region during the 16th and 17th centuries and settled in the area around Viersen.
The Paape surname is still relatively common in Germany, especially in the areas that the Dutch Mennonites originally settled. In addition, the last name exists across other parts of Europe, in countries such as the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Denmark. Records show that from the 17th century onwards, some Paapes immigrated to the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Today, the last name Paape can be found in these locations, as well as other parts of the world.
Variations of the surname Paape
The surname Paape is typically a Dutch surname and has several variants, spellings, and surnames of the same origin. These variants include Pop, Poppe, Pab, Pabbe, Pap, Papp, Papen, Papin, Poppen, Poppin, Paap, Poep, and Papé. It is also believed to have a Scandinavian origin as the Paape surname is found in records from Finland, Sweden, and Norway.
The surname is also celebrated in Germany and is found in registers from various regions. There, it appears in registers as Pap, Pape, Peppe, Appe, Appel, Apel, Appen, Appin, Paup, Pipp, Papa, and Pubband.
In France, the surname appears as Paup, Pamp, Pappa, Pappe, Poppe, Papou, Pap, and Papot. Several of these variants have become synonymous among Huguenots, making it a popular French Huguenot surname.
In the United States, however, the surname is most prominently found in Pennsylvania, where many Dutch settlers initially arrived, and the surrounding states. There, it is spelled Pape, Pab, Poppe, Poppen, Papin, Paben, Papen, Pearp, Pabbe, Paebbe, Paep, Poep, and Paap.
Overall, the Paape surname is an interesting name and has a long history in several countries. In many parts of the world, this name is still celebrated and is often associated with a strong sense of Dutch or Scandinavian heritage.
Famous people with the name Paape
- Deborah Paape: Deborah Paape is a German-American powerful woman recognized for her extensive career in the field of business management. She most notably served as a managing director for Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Deutsche Bank in San Francisco.
- Andrew Paape: Andrew Paape is an American distiller and CEO of Dutch’s Spirits, a craft distillery based in Pine Plains, New York, producing ultra-premium spirits using traditional farm distilling methods.
- Elena Paape: Elena Paape is an American television writer and producer who’s worked on shows such as Supergirl, Nashville and Glee.
- Frank Paape: Frank Paape is an American real estate entrepreneur and investor who served as CEO of his self-owned financial advisory company, Paape Consulting LLC.
- Carolyn Paape: Carolyn Paape is an American graphic designer and illustrator who’s had her works featured in galleries and exhibitions around the country, most recently at the Three Rivers Arts Festival in Pittsburgh.
- Mark Paape: Mark Paape is an American film and television producer best known for his work on the popular television drama series Lost.
- Ed Paape: Ed Paape is an American screenwriter and award-winning actor. His notable works include the film The Godfather Part II, as well as a variety of TV series such as Law & Order and NYPD Blue.
- John Paape: John Paape is an American chef and restaurateur who’s worked in restaurants and catering events in Wisconsin and Illinois for over 25 years.
- Paul Paape: Paul Paape is an American voice actor known for his work on several successful animated series, including the Emmy Award-winning Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist.
- Julie Paape: Julie Paape is a Milwaukee-based visual artist and educator who specializes in video installation and film. She previously served as an artist-in-residence at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.