Surname Rae - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'R'
Rae: What does the surname Rae mean?
The last name Rae is of Scottish origin and primarily associated with the Clan MacRae in the highlands of Scotland. Its meaning varies with different interpretations. Some sources believe it derives from the Gaelic word "ruadh" which means "red," suggesting that the original bearers could have had red hair or ruddy skin. Another interpretation suggests the name might mean "female roe deer". It also might have originated from the Hebrew name "Rae" meaning "ewe" or "sheep", signifying a person who herded sheep. Alternatively, it could be derived from the Old English term "ra" which translates as "roe deer". Hence, given the various potential origins, the name may imply characteristics like red hair or ruddy complexion, reference a female roe deer, signify a person’s occupation as a sheep herder, or relate to a roe deer.
Rae: Where does the name Rae come from?
The surname Rae is of Scottish origin, taken from the Scottish word Reagh, which traditionally signifies a female roe-deer. However, in the context of a last name, it could also mean a person from Rae in Aberdeenshire.
The Rae surname first emerged in history in the county of Dumfriesshire, in Scotland, where the family held a family seat from very ancient times. One of the earliest recorded instances of the name was Gilbert filius Ray, in the late 12th and early 13th century.
Today, the surname Rae is most common in Scotland due to its historical prevalence in the country. In addition, it can also be found in countries such as Canada, United States, Australia, and New Zealand due to historic Scottish emigration. As a globalized name, it’s found throughout the world but maintains the strongest links to the aforementioned countries. Despite its origins in Scotland, the last name Rae is not as prevalent there as it once was. It's worth mentioning that the name Rae also exists in other cultures with different meanings and origins; for example, it could be a short form of the female given name Rachel in English-speaking countries.
Variations of the surname Rae
The surname Rae originates from Scotland and was initially derived from the given name Ralph, acquiring different spellings over time. Variations of the Rae surname include Ray, Rea, Reigh, Wray, and Wrays. Other Scottish patronymic derivations include Rayson, Reyson and Raeson. There might be variations due to regional dialects and phonetic spellings.
In addition, Rae might also be a shortened form of the much longer Irish surname O’Raghallaigh, anglicised as O'Reilly. In such instances, O’Rae, Reilly, Riley, and Raley are seen as variations.
This surname can be found across many cultures with various meanings, so it's worth noting that not all people with the surname Rae, Ray, or Rea are of the same genealogical origin. For instance, in English, Rey or Ray derives from the Old French word rai, meaning a beam of light or a king. Also, the surname Raye can be found in English and French origins independently. And, in certain Scandinavian countries, ‘Rae’ is used as a female name. Therefore, its usage is diverse, widespread, and multicultural.
Famous people with the name Rae
- Mindy Rae: American burlesque dancer and director, featured in HBO's Taxicab Confessions.
- Robert Rae: Canadian politician and lawyer, former premier of the Northwest Territories.
- Lizzy Rae: English model and songwriter known for her singles “Call Me” and “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head”.
- Annie Rae: American game show announcer featured on shows like The Newlywed Game.
- Lauren Rae: American actress whose appearances include the films ‘Eat Pray Love’ and ‘The Social Network’.
- Janez Rae: Canadian author and journalist, best known for his series of books about the Arctic.
- Dana Rae: American singer/songwriter featured in the MTV show ‘Totally Pauly’.
- Dianne Rae: Canadian R&B and gospel singer, co-founder and former lead singer of the group Five Alive.
- Storm Rae: American R&B singer, songwriter, and producer, known for hits such as “Roll That” and “Watch Me Fly”.
- Rebecca Rae: American actress, best known for her leading role in the web series ‘withForce’.