Surname Sammer - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'S'
Sammer: What does the surname Sammer mean?
The last name Sammer is thought to have originated in the south of Germany. It is believed to have been derived from the word "samber" or "sammer", which was a nickname for a person or family who was ungainly or clumsy.
This nickname can be traced back to a 16th-century phrase used to describe a person who was awkward or clumsy. This name is also thought to be related to the modern German word "sammlen", which means to collect or gather something.
The Sammer family has been recorded in Germany since at least the late 16th century, where they were noted as originally living in Bavaria. The Sammers were a noble family, known for their leadership and loyalty. They were also known for their charitable works, with some of the family members donating money to hospitals and other charitable causes.
The Sammer family is also known to have moved to the United States, with the Sammers settling in Pennsylvania and New York in the late 19th century. The Sammer surname is still very common in Germany today, as well as throughout Europe and the United States, where it has been adopted by numerous descendants of the original Sammer family.Order DNA origin analysis
Sammer: Where does the name Sammer come from?
The last name Sammer is most commonly found in Germany and Austria today. Sammer is considered a German-Czech name, as the Czech form of the name is Šámal.
In Germany, the name Sammer is primarily concentrated in the state of Bavaria, where it ranks 1,241st out of a total of 8,139 surnames recorded in the database. The town of Bamberg in Bavaria is an area of high concentration, with the city councils recording 14 Sammer families living within its boundaries.
In Austria, Sammer is more popular than in Germany, with it ranking as the 646th most common surname in the country, and primarily concentrated the states of Lower Austria and Vienna. Another area of concentrated Sammer families is the settlement of Hirschmugl in Lower Austria.
It is important to point out that the Sammer name is found in other countries outside of Germany and Austria, including the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia,, Russia, and the United States of America, where it is found across 33 states. However, the largest population of the Sammer surname today is found within Germany and Austria.
Variations of the surname Sammer
The surname Sammer has various variant spellings and surnames of the same origin.
The variant spellings for the surname Sammer include Samar, Samor, Samer, Semer, Samair, and Somaer. These variants are believed to have originated from an ancient Anglo-Saxon root word, which means “summer”.
Surnames of the same origin for the surname Sammer include Summer, Summers, Sumner, and Sommers. These surnames are all derived from “summer”, meaning the season. The surnames all reflect a person’s connection to the season season of spring or summer, or to someone who had a summer-related profession or name. For example, the surname Summer could refer to a person who was born in the summertime, or it could refer to a person who was a shepherd, since herdsmen historically spent a great deal of time in the summer season tending to their flocks.
Variations of the surname Sammer have been found around the world, particularly throughout Europe and North America. Some notable individuals who have borne the surname Sammer include American musician and composer Leonard Norman Cohen, German-American architect Richard Sammer, and British actress and singer Debbie Harry.
Famous people with the name Sammer
- Jens Sammer: Jens Sammer is a retired German footballer and has been the Technical Director of the German Football Association since 2006.
- Bernd Sammer: Bernd Sammer was a former German football defender who played for several clubs in the Bundesliga.
- Ute Sammer: Ute Sammer is a German singer, rapper and producer who has released three albums since the mid-1990s.
- Richard Sammer: Richard Sammer is an Austrian actor who has appeared in numerous films and TV shows since the 1980s.
- Fred Sammer: Fred Sammer was an American musician, vocalist and producer who worked extensively in the blues, jazz, and rock genres over the course of his career.
- Dave Sammer: Dave Sammer is the co-founder and CEO of Retail Profiling, a leading provider of retail analytics services.
- Dominik Sammer: Dominik Sammer is a Swiss ice hockey player who currently plays for HC Ambri-Piotta in the Swiss National League A.
- Jella Sammer: Jella Sammer is a German actress who has appeared in various film and television series since 2014.
- Martin Sammer: Martin Sammer is the Senior Director of Business Development at Matrix Partners, a venture capital firm.
- Jan Sammer: Jan Sammer is a Czech fashion designer and the founder of the luxury fashion label JAN SAMMER.