Surname Taylor - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'T'
Taylor: What does the surname Taylor mean?
The last name Taylor is of English origin and derived from the occupation of a tailor. The name comes from the Old French "tailleur" for "tailor" which was originally from the Latin "taliare," meaning "to cut." Tailors were highly skilled and respected artisans in medieval times, responsible for designing and crafting clothing. This surname became popular in England during the 12th and 13th centuries, and later spread to Scotland and Ireland, often varying slightly in spelling. Over time, as surnames started being passed down through generations, children inherited not only their parents' names but also their professions. Therefore, the last name Taylor originates from ancestors who were tailors by trade. It is now one of the most common surnames in the English-speaking world. Notable people with the last name include actors Elizabeth Taylor and Holland Taylor, and singer Taylor Swift.
Taylor: Where does the name Taylor come from?
The last name Taylor is one of the most common surnames in the English-speaking world today. It is especially common in the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, where it is among the top 30 most popular surnames.
In England, Taylor is the eighth-most common surname, while in Scotland it is the 16th-most popular surname. In the United States, Taylor is the 15th-most common last name, with approximately 1.51 million bearers in 2020. In 2019, it was the fourth-most common surname in Canada, and the 11th-most common in Australia.
In the United States, Taylor is particularly prevalent in the southern states, with Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee all having more than 100,00 bearers of the surname. In New Zealand, Taylor ranks as the 10th-most common surname, with an estimated 17,000 individuals registered with the surname.
No matter where you go, the last name Taylor is bound to be a familiar one. Because of its extensive history and geographical presence, it continues to be a popular surname across the English-speaking world today.
Variations of the surname Taylor
The surname Taylor is derived from an old French name, Tailleur, which means “cuts cloth” or “tailor.” It is an occupational surname and one of the most common surnames in the English-speaking world. It can be spelt and spelled a variety of ways.
Variants of Taylor include Tayler, Tailor, Tailer, Taylar, Tayllor, Taylour, Tailor, and Taylore. It can also be spelt in slightly different combinations such as Taillour, Taylloure, Talior, Talyor and Tylor.
In other languages it is spelled differently. This includes Taylero (Spanish), Tailer (German), Tailleur (French), Tailore (Italian), Tailloeur (Dutch), Taileur (Czech), Taillier (Belgium) and Tylir (Polish).
There are a few variations of Taylor that can also be surnames. These include Tailour, Taylur, Tailer, Tailor, Talor, Taylorr, Taylour, Tayloe and Tailleur.
Additionally, Taylor can be a given name. Taylor is a unisex given name, often used as a diminutive form of the Latin name Talia. It is a common first name for both genders, and was especially popular in early 1980s in the United States.
In conclusion, Taylor is a very common surname, and it can be spelt and spelled in various ways. In addition, it is also a popular given name.
Famous people with the name Taylor
- Elizabeth Taylor: English–American actress
- Paul Taylor: American choreographer
- Cynthia Taylor: American actress
- Lili Taylor: American actress
- Zachary Taylor: 12th President of the United States
- Cecil Taylor: American jazz musician
- Brad Taylor: American author
- Marilyn Taylor: American author
- Don Taylor: American actor
- Luther Taylor: American baseball player
- Peter Taylor: English playwright
- Dave Taylor: Canadian ice hockey player
- Livingston Taylor: American singer-songwriter
- Rufus Taylor: British drummer
- Richard Taylor: American theoretical physicist
- Arabia Taylor: American R&B singer
- Earl Taylor: American bluegrass musician
- Frank Taylor: American television producer
- Rik Taylor: American singer
- P M Taylor: Australian comedian
- Chris Taylor: American baseball player
- Roger Taylor: British drummer
- Marv Taylor: American football player
- William Taylor: English author
- Nancy Taylor: American pastor
- Sarah Taylor: English cricketer
- Alice Taylor: Irish author
- September Taylor: American singer
- Donna Taylor: American film producer
- Kathryn Taylor: American author