Surname Terrell - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'T'
Terrell: What does the surname Terrell mean?
The surname Terrell is of Old French origin, derived from the given name Thierri plus the diminutive suffix "-el". Thierri is cognate with the Old High German personal name Theodoric, meaning "people-ruler". The name later came to England with the Norman conquest and was anglicized to Terrell. Over time, it became a surname, passed down through generations. So, broadly, Terrell carries the connotation of "ruler of the people." However, like most surnames, it is mainly used to denote descent from a common ancestor rather than implying a literal interpretation of the name's meaning.
Terrell: Where does the name Terrell come from?
The last name Terrell is most commonly found in the United States today, although it is also present in other countries. The states with the highest concentrations of Terrells are located in the south - especially Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.
The name Terrell is believed to be of French origin, derived from ‘Tirel’, a medieval French given name. The earliest records of the name in the United States can be traced back to several branches of the Terrell family who settled in Maryland, Virginia, and Delaware in the 1700s.
Terrells are known for their passion and creativity. Many have gone on to be successful attorneys, doctors, entrepreneurs, and politicians, as well as influential figures in the arts and music. Among them are rap artist 2 Chainz, NBA basketball player Michael Terrell, civil rights figure Charles Terrell, and the late Meriwether Lewis Terrell, who represented the state of Mississippi in the U.S. Senate from 1902 to 1906.
It is likely that the Terrell surname has been shaped and reshaped over the years as its members have moved throughout and settled in different locations. Today, Terrells thrive throughout the United States, and their last name has become an indelible part of the rich American cultural fabric.
Variations of the surname Terrell
The surname Terrell is of English origin and is believed to have been derived from several different sources. One possible source is from a name derived from Old French, such as Thierry, which could have become corrupted to Terrill or Terrall. It is also possible that the name derived from Thorold or from an Old Germanic name, such as Tancred. The name is found among several different spellings and variant forms, including Terrill, Tarrell, Terrel, Terrilll, Terill, Tirall, Turrill, Torrell, Torrill, and Tarrell.
The Tarrell and Terrel spellings are more common in Ireland, where the name may have derived from a corruption of the Irish Gaelic name O'Tighearnaigh, which means "chieftain". The name is also found in early Scotland, derived from the Old English Torr, which means "bastion or castle".
In the United States, the name is often found in a variety of spellings, including Terrill, Terrell, Turrell, Turrill, and Torrell. In other countries, the name has developed distinct variants such as Tarall in France, Terolli in Italy, and Tellez in Spain.
The name is also found in a variety of surnames, such as Terrellson, Terreles, Terrellero, Terrelli, and Terrello. This is because the name was adopted as a patronymic name, a surname derived from the name of one's father.
Famous people with the name Terrell
- Ryan Terrell: Ryan Terrell is an American actor, writer, and producer known for his work in feature films, television, and the web space.
- Tommie Lee Terrell: Tommie Lee Terrell is an American singer and songwriter. She is best known for her recording repertoire which features elements of soul, jazz, pop, and R&B.
- Jerry Terrell: Jerry Terrell is a retired American mixed martial artist who competed in the Ultimate Fighting Championship and was the winner of the World Fighting Alliance Middleweight Championship.
- Gucci Mane: Gucci Mane (born Radric Delantic Davis), otherwise known as his stage name Gucci Mane, is an American rapper. He is largely credited with the origin and rise of the trap music genre.
- Robert Terrell: Robert Terrell is a retired American basketball player who played with the Philadelphia 76ers from 1984 to 1988.
- Charles Terrell: Charles Terrell is an American actor, writer, and producer best known for his role in the comedy film Final Destination 3.
- Roger Terrell: Roger Terrell is a former American football wide receiver who played the National Football League from 1985 to 1989.
- George Terrell: George Terrell is the former mayor of Dallas, Texas, who served as mayor from 1979 to 1981.
- Earl Terrell: Earl Terrell is an American football coach and former NCAA Division I football player who is currently the head football coach at National Louis University.
- Robert Terrell (lawyer): Robert Terrell is an American lawyer and former judge on the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.