Arrow Downward Arrow Downward Close Close Done Done Cart Cart clock clock
iGENEA
Personal guidance

We are always happy to help you! Contact us via e-mail or Whatsapp.

If you would like us to call you back, please provide your phone number and how you can be reached. We will be happy to call you for a personal consultation.

info@igenea.com WhatsApp

Jewish profile

Home » General Questions & Answers » Jewish profile

Post from iGENEA to 06.09.2010 12:09:42

Dear Amray,

the mtDNA starter test could result in more than one possible ancient tribes and you would have to do an upgrade to mtDNA Plus to find out the correct one.
But it is possible, that Jews will not be among the possible tribes, therefore this test could be enough if there is no jewish connection.

You can begin with the starter-Test and after we received the result, we can decide if it is helpfull for you to upgrade or not.

Roman C. Scholz
iGENEA
info@igenea.com
www.igenea.com

Post from Amray to 03.09.2010 10:09:58

If I just want to find out, whether I have jewish roots, will the 99,-Euro Test do? Or will it be recommended for that reason to make a higher test?

Post from iGENEA to 01.09.2010 08:09:36

Dear Amray,

if you do the test yourself you can not trace back the roots of this greatgrandfather, this is correct.
To analyse his lineages you need a relative with his Y-DNA (direct male lineage) or his mtDNA (direct female lineage of his mother).

The restriction is caused by the way DNA is inherited. Only the pure male and pure female lineages can be traced back, because Y-DNA and mtDNA are inherited without modifications by recombinations.
The rest of the DNA is recombined every generation and there can not exactly traced back.

Roman C. Scholz
iGENEA
info@igenea.com
www.igenea.com

Post from Amray to 28.08.2010 17:08:29

If I understood everything right, it is not possible to find out including the roots of my greatgrandfather (dead), father of my grandmother (dead),mother of my mother. Since the test would only be about all my grand and greatgrandmothers and so on or about the male ancestors of my father, right?
This is somewhat restricted....

Post from iGENEA to 08.12.2009 19:12:32

Dear Peter Juden,

I wrote the answer here:

http://www.igenea.com/index.php?content=132&st=747

Roman C. Scholz
iGENEA
info@igenea.com
www.igenea.com

Post from peter juden to 08.12.2009 03:12:44

can someone help me i am from England and my name is juden is this a jewish name and am i jewish i no this means jew in german

Post from iGENEA to 21.07.2009 17:07:32

Dear Sho

It is not possible to tell out of the haplogroup only if you ancestry is jewish. Please send us an email to info@igenea.com indicating your labnumber (starts with E). We will then check again if you have a possible jewish root.

Joëlle Apter (M.Sc.)
iGENEA
info@igenea.com
www.igenea.com

Post from sho to 26.06.2009 16:06:40

My haplogroup is J and my brother's paternal is R1b1 (with more 'cousins' in Great Brittain that I imagined). Our family came mostly from Spain, some southern France and I believe we are of Jewish descent. Are these haplogroups indicative of Jewish ancestry? I understand the J came from the Middle East.

Post from iGENEA to 09.12.2008 09:12:19

No a catholic or islam origin is not possible to analyse. Please differ between RELIGION and ORIGIN. We cannot analyse if somebody belong to the jewish community and religion, just if this person has jewish ancestry.
A saliva sample can help you discover your Jewish origin. There are specific haplogroups that indicate a Jewish provenance, so you can proof such guess. Besides, it exists the "Cohen Modal-Haplotype" DNA profile, named so because of the increased appearance in the Jewish Cohanim Families. This haplotype indicates clearly the Jewish origin.

The Jewish Folk, however, does not have a genetic differentiated identity. So no test can give you a clear answer, but only indications.

Comparison of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) and Y-chromosome DNA of people from different people groups provide geneticists with an idea of when and where these groups have travelled in the migrations of peoples around the world. Mutations do not merely mark individual families, but also entire sub-populations (population groups). When one researches the occurrence or frequency of certain mutations (markers), one can sub-divide the complex family tree of the human race into individual branches.
If a people group migrates, or lives for a long time in geographic isolation– meaning that there would be no genetic exchange with other groups– then it develops its own mutation pattern. It becomes a haplogroup with genetic characteristics, that are unmistakeable. Each one of these groups stands for a branch of the human family tree: In Europe, for example, other haplogroups are distributed than in Africa or Asia.
Even social and religious traditions leave their traces behind in the inherited genetic material, since the members of some groups preferentially marry among themselves. Although, for example, Celts and Germanic Tribes often encountered each other, there were hardly any intermarriages. The same is true, for example, of Jews, who lived in isolation for centuries and have thus preserved specific genetic characteristics.

Even when written history falls silent, DNA-Genealogy can further research and decipher the history of humankind. Thanks to the so-called molecular clock, the point in time when two lines divided and the epoch in which their last common ancestor lived can be determined. Analyses of genetic material also reveal the Wanderlust of the first humans. Researches discovered remarkable similarities between the people groups in India, Oceania, and Australia, as well as between Siberian peoples and Native Americans. Thanks to the molecular clock, we can not only determine the point in time and the origin of the migration, but also how the peoples are related to each other. This is how, for example, the ancestral origin of the Basques was discovered.

Inma Pazos
iGENEA
info@igenea.com
www.igenea.com

Post from Vodenec to 08.12.2008 23:12:50

It seems sheldom to me, how can you identify a religious group via DNA! Is there a DNA profile for Protestants or Catholics too?

Post from Aviva to 04.12.2008 14:12:20

Pardon me, Macedonian, but what you've quoted above with regards to Ashkenazi Jews having no connection to Bibilical Israel is simply not true. Jews have travelled and lived all over the world; sometimes people have converted but the actual numbers involved in the fabled "mass conversion" of the Khazars is debatable. Please be aware that the slander that Ashkenazi Jews are not "real" Jews is often used by those with an anti-semitic agenda.

Post from iGENEA to 08.10.2008 11:10:40

A single genetic profil for jewish ancestry doesn't exist. As you explained here, there are a lot of different groups and in the same way we have different profile. Until now it is possible to differ between Askenazi, Sephardim, Cohen and Levi. The restant groups will be resumed under Jews without any extra specification.
A saliva sample can help you discover your Jewish origin. There are specific haplogroups that indicate a Jewish provenance, so you can proof such guess. Besides, it exists the "Cohen Modal-Haplotype" DNA profile, named so because of the increased appearance in the Jewish Cohanim Families. This haplotype indicates clearly the Jewish origin.

The Jewish Folk, however, does not have a genetic differentiated identity. So no test can give you a clear answer, but only indications.

Inma Pazos
iGENEA
info@igenea.com
www.igenea.com

Post from Macedonian to 07.10.2008 21:10:17

I see some nations have Jewish heritage in their profile, as for example Slovenia with 5%.
Now there are two large different branches of Jewish heritage with different genetic profiles from each other. One is the Sephardim Jews and the other are the Ashkenazim. The Sephardim Jews, the original Biblical Jews that where expelled from it's native lands to Europe, particular to Spain but also a later Spanish expelling making them settle to various European countries, but also they where found in North Africa and Middle Eastern Arab nations. The later is the Ashkenazim Jews, they had no connection with the Sephardim or to Biblical Israel, instead the tribe known as Khazarians adapted Judaism around 900 AD. Their main land was in today's southern Russia, but they to got expelled in large number and settled mainly to Poland, Germany and Central Europe.
My question is what profile do iGENIA use for the Jewish DNA-profile, and it would be easier if it could be stated as Sephardim Jews (Semitic) and Ashkenazim Jews.

My second question is. If we take Slovenia for example that had 5% Jewish DNA-heritage, does iGENEA need approval from Slovenia to be alow to include that in the results?

DNA Test Discount Today
-10%