Surname Claassen - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'C'
Claassen: What does the surname Claassen mean?
The last name Claassen is a German and Dutch surname. Depending on the region, the surname can be spelled Claussen, Claasen, Claassen, Claesson, Claessen, Claesen and Claessen. The origin of the surname is derived from the Old German word "klan" meaning family or clan, combined with an Old German suffix "-as", meaning descendant of. As such, the surname is thought to derive from a family or clan that came originally from the region of the Netherlands and Germany. In those countries, many people with the last name Claassen are likely to be descended from the same family.
The first known Claassen ancestor was Johannes Claassen, who lived in Bruchhausen, Westfalen, Germany in the mid-1500s. As the family spread out, members of the Claassen family throughout Europe created various branches and family lines. The most common spelling of the last name is Claassen in the Netherlands and Claussen in Germany.
Today, the last name Claassen is found in many countries around the world including Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Canada, and the United States. It is also the 4,737th most common surname in the world, according to WorldNames PublicProfiler. Individuals with the last name Claassen are likely to be descended from the same ancient family and may be related.Order DNA origin analysis
Claassen: Where does the name Claassen come from?
The last name Claassen is most commonly found in South Africa. This is because the ancestors of those who bear this name originally descended from Dutch settlers in the 17th and 18th centuries. The majority of those settlers moved to the Cape of Good Hope for religious freedom and to escape persecutions in Europe. Many of the settlers and their descendants spread throughout the country, leading to the name becoming fairly widespread. It is estimated that there are currently around 135,000 people who bear the surname Claassen in South Africa today.
The name can also be found in countries such as the Netherlands, Germany, and other parts of Europe, although the numbers are smaller than in South Africa. It is also found in North and South America, particularly in the United States, Canada, and parts of Latin America. These populations are likely to be descended from those South African immigrants who left the country in the 19th and 20th centuries in search of a better life.
Claassen is spelled differently in various parts of the world, appearing as Claassen, Claessen, Claasen, and Classen. Today, it continues to be a popular surname in South Africa, where the majority of people bearing this name can still be found.
Variations of the surname Claassen
Claassen is a patronymic surname of Dutch and German origin. It is derived from the particular first name Claus, which is a form of the name Nicholas. It can be spelled in different ways depending on the nation and language – Claassen, Claessen, Klausen, Kaußen. In Germany, the variants of the name Claassen are Klaasen, Klaassen, Klassen and Klassens.
In the United States, the most common form of the surname is Claassen, which is typically of Dutch origin. The variants found in the US are usually based on a particular branch of the family originating in the Netherlands. These include Claas, Claass, Claessen, Claessens and Claassens.
In South Africa, the surname Claassen is more common among Afrikaans-speaking families, who were originally descended from Dutch settlers. Alternative spellings found in South Africa are Klaassen, Clasen, Claesen, Clasens, Klaessen, and Klaessens.
Other spelling variations of Claassen include Clausen, Closson and Clossen. Its variant surnames include Claus, Kleese, Clausius, Klause, Klaus, Klausz, Clouse, and Klose.
Some notable persons who have this surname include Dutch rower Jan Roelof Claassen, Dutch footballer Georginio Gregion Emile Claassen, Afrikaans actor André Laurence Claassen and South African rugby union player Hannes Claassen amongst others.
Famous people with the name Claassen
- Marius Claassen: Marius Claassen is a South African international rugby union player, who plays for the Blue Bulls in the Currie Cup and Vodacom Cup competitions, as well as captaining the South African Sevens side.
- Josi Claassen: Josi Claassen is a South African author, playwright, and documentary filmmaker. Josi has written several books,plays, and documentaries exploring issues around feminism, racism, and xenophobia in South African society.
- Caron Claassen: Caron Claassen is a South African professional photographer specializing in fashion and advertising, including commercial photography for magazines and brands.
- Marita Claassen: Marita Claassen is a South African actress, best known for her roles in the television dramas, 7de Laan and Isidingo.
- Justin Claassen: Justin Claassen is a South African professional association football player who currently plays for Northern Cape side Real Kalahari Rovers in the National First Division.
- wasch-Claassen: Wasch-Claassen is a South African fashion designer. He started his groundbreaking fashion label in Pretoria, South Africa.
- Elsabe Claassen: Elsabe Claassen is a South African-born actress, best known for her role of 'Nuwejaar' in the long-running drama series, 7de Laan.
- JP Claassen: JP Claassen is a South African journalist and presenter. He is the anchor for eNews' flagship show, eNews PM Live.
- Jan-Hendrik Claassen: Jan-Hendrik Claassen is a former South African test cricketer, who is currently the chairman of the South African selectors.
- Chante Claassen: Chante Claassen is a South African singer, songwriter, and actress, who first rose to fame as a contestant on the third season of South Africa's Popstars talent show.