Surname Gabbard - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'G'
Understanding my Gabbard Lineage: A Personal Account of the iGENEA DNA Test
As an individual interested in tracing back my origins, I recently took the iGENEA DNA test. This test, with its blend of autosomal DNA, Y-DNA, and mDNA analysis methodologies, deepened my understanding of my surname, Gabbard. I am keen to shed light on technical aspects and accuracy of the test while linking it with the history associated with this surname.
W. Gabbardread more
Gabbard: What does the surname Gabbard mean?
The surname Gabbard is of English origin and is believed to be a variant of the surname "Gabbett", which itself is derived from a diminutive form of the name "Gabriel". The name Gabriel has Biblical origins, being the name of one of the archangels in the Christian, Jewish, and Islamic traditions. The name is of Hebrew origin and means "God is my strength". Therefore, the surname Gabbard indirectly carries a meaning associated with divine strength. As with many surnames, Gabbard could also potentially be associated with a specific geographical location, occupation, or ancestral given name. However, as surnames have evolved over centuries and have often changed forms, the exact genesis and meaning could vary. It is also important to note that surnames can have different origins in different countries or cultural groups, so interpretations may vary.Order DNA origin analysis
Gabbard: Where does the name Gabbard come from?
The surname Gabbard has its origins from the personal name Gabriel, which is derived from Hebrew and means "God is my strength". It is an Anglicized form of Welsh patronymic "ap Gabard", where "ap" denotes "son of". Throughout the centuries, many spellings of the name were used, including Gabard, Gabart, Gabbart, Gabbard, and others.
This surname was first recorded in the European region during the 7th century but it became prevalent in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. In present times, the majority of people with the Gabbard surname are found in the United States, particularly in the state of Kentucky. They are also found in considerable numbers in some other countries like England and Canada.
It is a relatively uncommon surname, ranked outside the top 100,000 in most global rankings. Some prominent people with the surname Gabbard include American politician Tulsi Gabbard and her father, American politician Mike Gabbard.
Variations of the surname Gabbard
The surname Gabbard has a few variant spellings and originates from the English language. Variations of this surname can include Gabard, Gabart, Gabberd, and Gabbert.
The Gabbard surname is believed to have originated from an Old French personal name Gabart, which is in turn derived from an Old Flemish name. This suggests that the Gabbard surname could have a Flemish or Belgian origin though it mainly exists in English-speaking countries today.
Some similar sounding surnames of different origins include Gabbert, a surname of German origin, and Gabbardi, a surname of Italian origin.
As a surname, Gabbard could have also been derived from occupation, place, or characteristic of the original bearer. For example, it could have been a variant of 'Gabbert,' deriving from 'Gebhard,' a Germanic given name composed of elements meaning 'gift' and 'brave, hardy.'
In summary, while Gabbard does not have many clear variations, it may be linked to several other surnames of different linguistic origins, such as Gabbert from German or Gabbardi from Italian.
Famous people with the name Gabbard
- Tulsi Gabbard: An American politician and United States Army Reserve officer who served as the U.S Representative for Hawaii's 2nd congressional district from 2013 to 2021. She was also a candidate for the Democratic nomination in the 2020 United States presidential election.
- Mike Gabbard: A Democratic member of the Hawaii State Senate, representing the 20th District since 2006. He is the father of Tulsi Gabbard.
- Carol Gabbard: Mother of Tulsi Gabbard and wife of Mike Gabbard, she co-founded the Hawaiian natural foods store, "The Health Hut".
- Bhakti Gabbard: Bhakti Svarupa Damodar Swami, born as Sanjay Kumar Gabbard, was a Gaudiya Vaishnava spiritual leader, scientist, writer and poet.
- Jai Gabbard: The eldest brother of Tulsi Gabbard, who is known for being a camera operator and a surf instructor in Hawaii.
- Vrindavan Gabbard: One of the sisters of Tulsi Gabbard, Vrindavan is also involved in politics and has worked as part of her sister's campaign team. These individuals hold the last name Gabbard and have made significant contributions to politics, business, science, and society.