Surname Heckerle - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Heckerle: What does the surname Heckerle mean?
Heckerle is a surname of German origin, derived from the given name "Hakko," which in turn was derived from the Old High German word "hag," meaning "enclosure," "hedge," or "fence." Early references to the name come from the 13th century, when it is recorded in the ancient documents of the German city of Freiburg im Breisgau.
Heckerle can be found in various forms, including Heckler, Hackerli, Hecklar, Hecklauer, and Hackavelle. The name is generally believed to describe someone who worked as a fencing contractor or had some involvement with fences and hedges. However, some have suggested the meaning may also refer to a person with a fiery temper, someone who could easily be pushed into a heated argument or altercation.
The Heckerle name most likely found its way into other German-speaking countries over the centuries, making it a pan-German surname. It can now be found throughout many parts of Central and Eastern Europe, the United States, Canada, and elsewhere in the world.
The Heckerle name carries a rich history that continues to this day, and it is associated with traditional German values such as hard work, determination, and a practical approach to life. The history of the name speaks of strength and resilience, making it a source of pride for those who bear it.Order DNA origin analysis
Heckerle: Where does the name Heckerle come from?
The last name Heckerle is primarily found in Germany and Austria, where about 900 people currently bear the name. The name itself derives from the old German 'heckenrot', meaning 'hedge-pond'. Heckerles are of Germanic descent, likely tracing their roots to Bavaria or the Rhineland.
The name is still quite common in parts of Germany, but has mostly faded out of use in Austria. In the United States, Heckerles are largely concentrated in the Midwest, particularly in Wisconsin (where about 400 Heckerles live today), Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, and Ohio. Here, the name is often associated with German and Dutch immigrants who arrived in the 19th century.
Heckerles can also be found in other parts of the world, including Canada, Australia, and South America. In Europe, Heckerles are still found in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Switzerland. The name is also found in Russia, where some families were likely German immigrants or descended from German immigrants.
Outside of Europe, the last name Heckerle may also be found in countries that have recently experienced immigration from German-speaking areas. This includes the United States, Canada, and South America, among other countries.
Variations of the surname Heckerle
The surname Heckerle, or variations of this name, could be spelled in a number of different ways. Some of the most common variants include Hegler, Heckler, Hecklerle, Hecklerler, Hekkler, and Hebler. Another variant, sometimes found in the United States, is Heglerle, which is a combination of the German and American spellings of the name.
The surname Heckerle is of German origin, and is derived from the personal name “Heckel,” which is a diminutive form of “Heck,” meaning “brave.” It is a common surname throughout Germany, as well as parts of Switzerland and Austria.
The surnames Heckler and Hegler are both derived from the personal name “Heckel.” In some instances, the names Heckler and Hegler have been combined into the single surname Heglerle.
In the United States, the surname Heckerle is most commonly found with the spelling Hecklerle. This variant is a combination of the German spelling of the name and the American spelling of the word “cker,” which is an abbreviation of the word “arch.”
The surnames Hecklerler and Hekkler are two more variants of the name Heckerle that are found primarily in Central and Eastern Europe. These surnames are derived from the German word “Heckel,” which means brave.
The surname Hebler is also a variation of the name Heckerle. This variant is derived from the German word “Heb,” which means hill or mound. This variant of the surname is found mainly in Switzerland.
In conclusion, the surname Heckerle has many different spellings and variants, which are primarily derived from its German origin. The most common variants of the name are Heckler, Hecklerle, Hecklerler, Heggler, Hekkler, and Hebler.
Famous people with the name Heckerle
- Margaret Heckerle: Margaret Heckerle is a former Miss Delaware and Miss USA runner up. She competed in the 1985 Miss USA pageant and placed second Runner-up to Miss Wisconsin. She currently works as a producer, director, and writer for robotic theatre.
- Chris Heckerle: Chris Heckerle is a stuntman and stunt coordinator who has worked on several projects such as Law and Order, The Hurricane, and I Am Sam.
- Cynthia Heckerle: Cynthia Heckerle is a scientist and science communicator. She has an extensive background in science, particularly chemistry and biology. She currently works as a post-doctoral research associate in the School of Science and Technology at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
- John Heckerle: John Heckerle is a financial executive who has held positions in accounting and finance at numerous companies throughout his long career, including Experian, CitiGroup, and Microsoft.
- Mike Heckerle: Mike Heckerle is a professional basketball player who spent two seasons in the NBA. He also had one season in the CBA, after which he retired from professional basketball in 1995.
- Sharon Heckerle: Sharon Heckerle is a professional singer and songwriter. She has released several albums over the course of her career, and has toured extensively in the United States and Europe.