Surname Heckert - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'H'
Heckert: What does the surname Heckert mean?
The last name Heckert is of German origin and is considered to be a patronymic, or a name derived from a father's given name. The name Heckert is derived from the German word "hecken," meaning "planter or gardener." In other words, someone with the last name Heckert would have been the descendant of a father or ancestor who was a gardener or planter. Additionally, the word Heckert could also be derived from the old German word "hecker," which means "person who spins or weaves." This would indicate that the original bearer of the name would have come from a family of weavers.
The Heckert surname can be found in many different countries including Germany, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia, but it was most commonly found in the small town of Hagen, Westphalia, located north of Dortmund in Germany. The name first appeared in the early 12th century when Johann Heckert was first recorded as a witness in a local court document. The Heckert family was strongly associated with agriculture and farming activities, as well as weaving, spinning, and milling.
The Heckert family is one of the most distinguished and important of Westphalian families and they are associated with a large family of landowners, merchants, craftsmen, and farmers. To this day, people who carry the Heckert surname still work in a variety of associated trades such as gardening, milling, weaving, and spinning.Order DNA origin analysis
Heckert: Where does the name Heckert come from?
The last name Heckert is found in a few countries around the world today.
In the United States, the Heckert surname is most common in Pennsylvania, where there are more than 2,000 individuals with the surname. In neighboring Ohio, the name is common in the more rural areas of the state. It is also found in Indiana, Virginia and West Virginia.
In Germany, the name is particularly common in the region of Saxony, where many people with the Heckert surname still reside in the modern day. This area is located in what is known as the ‘Saxony Triangle’ of Germany, which also includes Lower Silesia and the Thuringia Region.
The name can also be found in Switzerland, Canada and Australia. Within each of these countries, the name is relatively sparse but present in small pockets.
Overall, the surname Heckert is mostly associated with the United States, in particular the Mid-Atlantic states and with Germany. Though it is present in several countries, it is particularly concentrated in these two regions.
Variations of the surname Heckert
The surname Heckert is a German name derived from the personal name "Heckard," which is composed of two elements derived from Old German. The first element, "hec," means "high," and the second element is "hard," meaning "brave." The original form of the name is most likely "Heckard," however the name was changed to "Heckert" in Germany sometime during the 1500s.
The variant spellings of Heckert include Heckerd, Heckar, Hekert, Heckerth, Heckard, Heckarts, Heckardt, Hacket, and Hacketty. There are many surnames that are derived from Heckert that have the same origin, including Hecker, Heckers, Hekerts, Heckards, Heckardts, and Hackets.
In some cases, the name Heckert has been altered to sound more English by replacing the "ck" with an "x" or "cs," while other versions can include the removal of the "t" at the end. These changes include Hexer, Haxter, Hexard, Hexarts, Hexardt, Haxet, and Haxetty. It is also common to find the name spelled as Hecker and Hekert in some areas.
Heckert is a common surname in Germany, particularly in the regions of the Rhineland, Mecklenburg, West Prussia, Silesia, East Prussia, and Brandenburg. There are also branches of the Heckert family living in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and the United States.
Famous people with the name Heckert
- Michael Heckert: Former NBA player who played for the Philadelphia 76ers, Milwaukee Bucks, and San Antonio Spurs.
- Leonard Heckert: Former MLB player who played for the St. Louis Cardinals, Atlanta Braves, and New York Mets.
- Patrick Heckert: Former professional soccer player who played for FC Greuther Fürth from 2001-2007.
- Dan Heckert: Former Chicago Bears linebacker and now working as assistant defensive line coach for the Tennessee Titans.
- Jeff Heckert: Television producer who won an Emmy Award in 2016 for Outstanding Informational Series/Special.
- Nelson Heckert: Former NBA player who played for the Charlotte Hornets and New Jersey Nets.
- Timothy Joseph Heckert: Former American Governor of Idaho who served from 1909 to 1915.
- Bill Heckert: Former aggressive roller derby player and member of the Rolling Thunder Roller Derby Team.
- Georg Heckert: Former German track athlete who competed in the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp, Belgium.
- Mark Heckert: Former NFL player who played tight end for the San Diego Chargers.