Surname Jesus - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'J'
Jesus: What does the surname Jesus mean?
The last name Jesus is of religious origin. In Christianity, Jesus Christ is believed to be the son of God, hence most followers don't use this as a last name out of respect. However, in some cultures, particularly in the Hispanic community, Jesus is a popular first name. The name Jesus is derived from the Greek form (Iesous) of the Hebrew name Yeshua (or Joshua), and it means "Yahweh is salvation" or "God is salvation." As a surname, it could be familial or signify a spiritual connection or veneration of Jesus Christ by one's ancestors. It should also be noted that the use of the name Jesus can be a sensitive topic given its sacred connotations in many religions.
Jesus: Where does the name Jesus come from?
The surname Jesus is a derivation of the name of Joshua, from the Hebrew Yeshua or Jehoshua which translates to 'God is salvation' or 'God rescues'. The Latinized version of this name is Jesus. In many cultures, names often undergo changes and adaptations based on linguistic context, hence, the adoption of 'Jesus' as a surname.
This surname is common in Portuguese and Spanish communities. In Portugal, it is particularly common and carries religious significance. Historically, it is common in Portugal for surnames to be inspired by religious names or symbols, stemming from the nation's strong Catholic heritage.
Today, it is prevalent in Portugal, Brazil, and among Spanish-speaking communities worldwide, including Spain, Mexico, and the Philippines, among others. However, it's worth noting that in predominantly English-speaking countries and regions, the use of 'Jesus' as a surname can be seen as controversial due to differing cultural perceptions and interpretations of religious etiquette and respect. Most English-speaking nations typically refrain from using 'Jesus' as a personal name or surname due to its sacred status within Christianity. This contrast emphasizes the role of cultural context in the use and interpretation of surnames.
Variations of the surname Jesus
The surname Jesus typically originates from Portuguese and Spanish-speaking countries and has evolved in several different variations mostly according to regional language and phonetic nuances. The original name, Jesus, in various forms, has been popular for many centuries, with spelling changes that include Jesu, Esus, Yeshu, Jesue, and Iesus. It is worth noting that the addition of an apostrophe or hyphen, commonly seen in surnames such as De-Jesus, DeJesus, or D'Jesus, usually indicates a geographical or occupational place of origin.
Other regional variations or alternates of the surname Jesus might include the more grammatically correct Jesús, common in Hispanic countries, as well as Jesús, Jesôus and Xesús, found among the Basque population of Spain. A popular Portuguese version of Jesus is Jesús.
There are also patronymic forms of the surname, derived by adding suffix of kinship. For instance, the Spanish name Hernandez literally means 'son of Hernando' similarly Jesus can also be seen in the form Jesu-son or Jesuson.
Despite various spelling and format differences, they all share the same root, typically indicative of 'Child, or Son of Jesus'.
Famous people with the name Jesus
- Alex Jesus: Alex Jesus is the Director of Communications and Spokesperson for the European Commission's International Cooperation and Development.
- Jorge Jesus: Jorge Fernando Pinheiro de Jesus is a professional Portuguese football manager, currently at Portugal's Benfica.
- Gabriel Jesus: Gabriel Fernando de Jesus, known as Gabriel Jesus, is a professional footballer who currently plays for the Premier League club Manchester City and the Brazilian national team.
- Luana Jesus: Luana Jesus is a Brazilian actress who is best known for her role on the Netflix series "Kissing Game."
- Sousa de Jesus: Rúbio Gonçalves Sousa, known as Sousa de Jesus, was a Portuguese football player.
- Edson Jesus Maria: Edson Jesus Maria is a former Dutch footballer.
- Gonzalo Jesus: Gonzalo Antonio Luengo Tapia, known as Gonzalo Jesus, is a Chilean footballer.
- Robson Jesus: Robson Luiz Pereira Rosa, known as Robson Jesus, is a retired Brazilian footballer.
- Samaris De Jesus: Samaris De Jesus is a professional baseball player from the Dominican Republic. He currently plays as Shortstop for the DSL Marlins.
- Aldo Jesus: Aldo Jesus is a Brazilian Paralympic athlete.
- Roger Jesus: Roger Jesus is a voice actor known for his work in video games and animated series. Please note that while "Jesus" is a common surname in Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries, it's less common in English-speaking countries.