Surname MacCaherty - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
MacCaherty: What does the surname MacCaherty mean?
The last name MacCaherty is a form of the Irish surname MacCathmhaoil, which is derived from the Irish Gaelic meaning “son of Cathmhaoil”. The first element of the name, Cathmhaoil, is derived from the Irish word for “warrior,” while the second element is derived from the Gaelic word for “nobleman” or “gentleman.” This surname is associated with a powerful Scottish tribe, the MacCathmhaoil, who were famous for their bravery and valour in battle.
Throughout history, MacCathmhaoil families have been prominent throughout Scotland and to this day, there are numerous individuals bearing the surname in various parts of the country. In their ancestral land of Ulster, the MacCathmhaoils were known as great poets and warriors and as such, they were highly respected.
In modern times, the surname of MacCaherty has come to represent an admirable combination of strength, courage, and nobility. Those who bear this surname often maintain a strong sense of pride and tradition, and many of them adhere to their ancestral values and take pride in their Irish heritage. Despite the changing times, those with the surname MacCaherty strive to stay true to their roots, enhancing their inherited honor, courage, and respect.Order DNA origin analysis
MacCaherty: Where does the name MacCaherty come from?
The last name MacCaherty is most commonly found today in Ireland and other areas of the British Isles.
The MacCaherty family can trace its roots back to ancient times in the County Donegal region of northwestern Ireland. It is believed that the family originated with the Scottish Clan of MacAteer, which settled in Donegal in the 14th century. While now found in Northern Ireland, the MacCahertys have had a long history of dispersal throughout the British Isles.
Today, the MacCaherty surname is found most commonly throughout Northern Ireland, particularly in County Donegal and Belfast, although it is also seen throughout Scotland and England. The MacCahertys are among the most numerous Ulster Scots surnames found in Scotland, and are particularly common in the Lowlands and Highlands.
In the United States, the MacCaherty surname is seen throughout the country, but is most commonly found in the Northeastern states and in cities with large Irish and Scottish populations such as Boston and New York. The MacCaherty family is also well represented among the Irish diaspora in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
Variations of the surname MacCaherty
The surname MacCaherty is also spelled in various ways, however the origin is the same. The variants and spellings of this surname include MacAteer, MacAteer, MacAnaire, McAtee, MacKauter, MacKeary, McKater, etc. MacCaherty is a surname which originates from the Irish MacEachthighearna, meaning ‘son of the horse lord.’ As such, the surname is found primarily in both Scotland and Ireland.
The surname MacCaherty is also a derivative of other Irish surnames which have stem from the Gaelic septname Mac Eachthighearna. It is also related to the surname MacArthur, which is found in Ireland and Scotland. Other variations of the same origin of MacCaherty are MacCarty, McCaffrey, McCarty, McCauley, McCawley, MacArtney, MacCaig, and Macteague.
The surname MacCaherty is found in several places throughout the map, including Ireland, Scotland, England, Canada, the United States, Australia, and New Zealand. It is a very common surname, and there are many famous people who bear this name, such as Roisin McAtteer -- a former Irish politician; Niall McAtteer, a famous Irish novelist; and Kevin McAtteer, a renowned Irish musician.
Overall, MacCaherty is a surname with various spelling variations, stemming from the same origin. Whether it is spelled MacAteer, MacKauter, MacKeary, or McAtee, the names all originate from the Irish Gaelic septname Mac Eachthighearna. This surname is seen all over the world, and there are many notable people who are associated with it.
Famous people with the name MacCaherty
- Sheryl MacCaherty: Sheryl was twice nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature for the films Rebirth and Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1.
- Molly MacCaherty: Molly is an Irish actress known for playing May Nesbitt on the Irish series Be Again.
- Shaun MacCaherty: Shaun is a Northern Irish singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist who is best known for being part of the folk group The Foy Vance.
- Frank MacCaherty: Frank is a Canadian actor and screenwriter best known for his roles in films such as Snow Dogs and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.
- Vanessa MacCaherty: Vanessa is a UK Insta-famous model who has posed for brands such as ASOS, Boohoo, and Benefit.
- William MacCaherty: William is a Scottish actor best known for his roles in movies such as Finding Altamira and The Wicker Man.
- Patrick MacCaherty: Patrick is a retired professional ice hockey player who played for the Edmonton Oilers, Boston Bruins, and New York Islanders.
- Moira MacCaherty: Moira is a British-born American film director best known for directing the documentaries Enlighten Up! and Running the Sahara.
- B. J. MacCaherty: B. J. is an American actor known for playing Sergeant Kennedy on the TV series Homicide: Life on the Street.
- Michael MacCaherty: Michael is an American television producer and casting director best known for his work on the shows Grey's Anatomy and The Good Doctor.