Surname MacCaughan - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
MacCaughan: What does the surname MacCaughan mean?
The last name MacCaughan is of Scottish and Irish origin, derived from the Gaelic "Mac Eacháin" which translates to "son of Eachán." Eachán itself is a diminutive form of the name Eachaidh, meaning "horseman." Therefore, the surname MacCaughan can be interpreted to mean "son of the horseman." It is a patronymic named, which means it was originally based on the name of a male ancestor. It is a common practice in Gaelic cultures to form surnames in this way. The spelling variations of this name can include MacEachan, MacGeachan, MacKechnie, and MacGehechan among others due to regional dialects and variations of Gaelic spelling over time. Like many surnames, MacCaughan can provide a small glimpse into the occupations, roles or characteristics of the ancestors who first bore the name.Order DNA origin analysis
MacCaughan: Where does the name MacCaughan come from?
The surname MacCaughan is of Irish origin and traces its roots back to the Gaelic Mac Eacháin, meaning "son of Eachán". Eachán is a personal name equivalent to Hector. The MacCaughan surname was prominent in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, where the family held familial seats for many years. The name traveled abroad with the numerous Irish emigrations, due mainly to the Great Famine in the 19th century.
Today, the last name MacCaughan is not particularly common anywhere in the world. There are a slight higher number of people with this surname in The United States than other countries. However, as with many Irish surnames, it can still be found most prevalently in Ireland, particularly in the region of its historical roots, Northern Ireland. It's also found, though less frequently, in countries that saw substantial Irish immigration, such as the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
Variations of the surname MacCaughan
The surname MacCaughan predominantly originates from Scotland and Ireland. It's primarily an anglicized form of the Gaelic surname "MacEacháin", meaning "son of Eachán". Eachán is a personal name composed of elements meaning "horse" and "bird".
MacCaughan can be found under various spellings, which often change over time due to errors in translation or simply a desire for a different spelling. These variations can include: McCaughan, MacEachan, MacEachin, McEachen, McKeichan, and McKechnie. Variants also include anglicized forms like McKeighen, McKeegan, McKeechan, McGahan, Macgookin, and even Mackechan.
In Northern Ireland, the surname is often found as "Cahoon" or "MacCahoon", derived from the variant "MacCochon". It reflects the phonetic pronunciation in the Gaelic language of the area.
Moreover, as families moved, they would often alter their names to fit in with new cultures, contributing to an expansion of variants. For instance, some families with this surname who emigrated to the United States modified it to make it easier to pronounce, leading to spellings like Mackahan, Mackan, and Mackon.
Remember, different spellings do not necessarily mean a different family line; they could simply be different versions of the same original name.
Famous people with the name MacCaughan
- Sharon MacCaughan: Is an American actress and film producer who is well known for her role in the 1990's sitcom, “Home Improvement”.
- Mike MacCaughan: Is a Canadian businessman, co-founder and executive chairman of the software company Hubba.
- Sloan MacCaughan: Is a Canadian singer-songwriter who has released two albums with appearances on The Late Show with David Letterman, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Saturday Night Live.
- Stuart MacCaughan: Is Professor of Management and Strategy at the Manchester Business School and Vice-President of Manchester Academic Health Science Centre.
- Caryn MacCaughan: Is a Canadian singer-songwriter who has released two albums and a singles collection.
- Doug MacCaughan: Is a British/Australian banking and capital market executive and entrepreneur who is co-founder and CEO of Rowloop Ltd.
- Edward MacCaughan: Is an American anthropologist and author who specializes in urban anthropology and cultural change.
- Gina MacCaughan: Is a Canadian video producer and editor best known for her work with the National Film Board of Canada.
- Robert MacCaughan: Is an American venture capitalist who specializes in early stage investments in technology companies.
- Sean MacCaughan: Is a Canadian actor and comedian who is best known for his roles in the sitcom “Kim’s Convenience” and the feature film “Goon”.