Surname MacHardy - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
MacHardy: What does the surname MacHardy mean?
The last name MacHardy is thought to be of Scottish origin. The surname likely originated in Scotland from the Middle English and Old Scots personal name "MacHardy", which is derived from MacHardi or MacCardy, a patronymic form of the Old Scots name "Hardy", a pet form of the personal name Richard.
The surname MacHardy is likely associated with a number of different Scottish clans such as MacCormicks and MacMillans, as well as MacGriffiths, MacKennedy, MacMurray and MacPhilsons.
The name MacHardy is derived from the Gaelic words “Mac Artaidh,” meaning “son of the hard one.” Some have suggested that the name may have been derived from a Gaelic word meaning “valiant” or “strong” in battle, which is fitting, given Scotland’s reputation for its fierce warriors.
The MacHardy surname isn't as common as it once was. Today, descendants of the MacHardy clan can be found throughout the world, including the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and England. In Scotland, the name is most commonly found in the Highland and Lowland areas, as well as the Hebrides and Orkney Islands.Order DNA origin analysis
MacHardy: Where does the name MacHardy come from?
The surname MacHardy is most prominently found in Canada, Scotland, and other parts of the United Kingdom. The surname MacHardy is derived from old Gaelic-Norse origins and can be traced back hundreds of years to the Hebrides and Clan Donald - now part of modern-day Scotland.
In Canada and the United States, the MacHardy surname is most often found in the Maritimes - Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island - as well as Ontario. In Scotland, the name is most commonly found in the Central Lowlands, the Hebrides Islands, and Aberdeenshire.
The history of the MacHardy surname is closely tied to the Clan Donald of the Hebrides, in the Western Isles of Scotland. This powerful clan was once comprised of many separate clans, including the MacLeans, Campbells, and MacHardys. In 1263, the Clan Donald was officially recognized by Alexander III and became one of the most powerful clans in Scotland.
Today, the surname MacHardy is much less common than it once was. However, there are still many proud members of the Clan Donald bearing the MacHardy name in Canada, Scotland, and throughout the world.
Variations of the surname MacHardy
The surname MacHardy is derived from a Gaelic and Scottish origin. It is a patronymic form of the Scottish name Hardie, and is an anglicized version of the Gaelic name Mac an- Làidir, meaning “son of the valiant one.” The surname has a number of variants, spellings, and surnames from the same origin. Some of these include MacConnor, MacHardie, MacCardy, McCardie, and MacCurdy.
MacHardy can also be spelled as MacHartey, MacCardey, MacHardee, and MacCurdy. The most common variant of the MacHardy surname is MacHardie. It is an anglicized form of the Olde Irish surname “Mac an Làidir” meaning “son of the proud one.” It was a patronymic name that derived from a personal name, which was derived from the Gaelic “làidir,” meaning “strong.” The MacHardie form of the surname was popularized in the late 1500s when the MacHardy family of Scotland established a large estate.
Other surnames of Scottish or Irish origin that are believed to be related to the MacHardy surname are MacCardy, MacCurdy, MacFarlane, and MacFadyen. All of these surnames are anglicized versions of the Gaelic names Mac an Làidir, meaning “son of the valiant one,” or MacFeadhain, meaning “son of the jealous one.”
The MacHardy name has also been Anglicized into other variants including Macherdie, Macherty, MacKerdy, Mackirdy, and Hardin. These form of the name could also have a Welsh origin and can be traced back to the British Isles, specifically originated in England, around the 12th to 14th century.
Overall, the MacHardy surname has a wide range of variants, spellings, and other related surnames. Its variants can be traced back to its Gaelic or Irish origins and its anglicization in Scotland.
Famous people with the name MacHardy
- Grant MacHardy: Comedian and all around entertainer; his stand-up show is hugely popular in the UK.
- Mike MacHardy: American professional basketball player for the Miami Heat of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
- Kirsten MacHardy: Stage and screen actress who has appeared on some of the world's major stages.
- Daren MacHardy: Nine-time Grammy nominated singer-songwriter who has toured around the world.
- Sally MacHardy: Golden Globe-winning filmmaker who has worked on a variety of documentaries and feature films.
- MacKenzie MacHardy: Award-winning musician known for his unique blend of traditional folk and modern rock.
- Harry MacHardy: British novelist whose books have sold millions of copies worldwide.
- Michaela MacHardy: Emmy Award-winning journalist who is an anchor for one of the top news programs in the US.
- Henry MacHardy: British composer whose music has been featured in Disney films and animated series.
- Sharon MacHardy: Theatre director who has gained acclaim for her innovative productions in the West End.