Surname Mathewson - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
Mathewson: What does the surname Mathewson mean?
The surname Mathewson is of English and Scottish origin and is essentially a patronymic form of the personal name Matthew. This personal name was popular throughout the Middle Ages in Europe and comes from the Hebrew name Matityahu, which means "gift of Yahweh". The suffix "son" implies "son of," thus Mathewson can be interpreted as "son of Matthew." It originated as a way to identify individuals by their male lineage. So, a person named John who was the son of a man named Matthew might have been referred to as John Mathewson. This name is prevalent today in many English-speaking countries, and variations of the name may include Matheson, Mathieson, or Mathis.Order DNA origin analysis
Mathewson: Where does the name Mathewson come from?
The surname Mathewson is of Scottish origin and it primarily means 'son of Matthew.' Historically, surnames were often attributed based on parentage, occupation or location. The name Matthew is a biblical name derived from the Hebrew name Mattityahu, which means 'gift from God.'
In the early 14th century, the Mathewson surname was found in Ross-shire, Scotland where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Although originating in Scotland, Mathewson, like many Scottish surnames, spread throughout the world due to emigration. Today, it is found in various countries including the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. The name is not very common compared to other surnames, but higher concentrations might be found in places with historical Scottish migration patterns or Scottish communities. As per recent data, the highest concentration of people with the Mathewson surname is in the United States. However, please note that this is subject to change as people move and populations shift.
Variations of the surname Mathewson
The surname Mathewson is originated from the European region, particularly from the United Kingdom. It is derived from the Hebrew name Matthew, meaning 'gift of the Lord'. Mathewson essentially means 'son of Matthew'.
The variants of this surname can be seen due to regional influences, different dialects, and even simple spelling errors over time. Some of the variants of Mathewson include Mathieson, Matthewson, Matheson, Mathison, and Mattheson.
These surnames are patronymic which means they were derived from the father's given name suggesting they all have the same root. There can be other less common variations as well, and sometimes the surname can be shortened to Mattson, particularly in Scandinavian countries. Also, MacMath, MacMaddy, and MacMatthew from Scotland are believed to share its origin.
The name Mathewson has been spelt differently in historical documents, with versions such as Matheson, Mathieson, Mathewson, etc. found in old texts and records. These spelling variations might have been caused by officials writing the name phonetically in historical records, resulting in a mirad of spelling variations. Hence, it's essential to consider all the variations while researching genealogy.
Famous people with the name Mathewson
- Christy Mathewson: an American Hall of Fame Major League Baseball pitcher who played his entire career from 1900 to 1916 for the New York Giants.
- Cordy T. Mathewson: a public school teacher from 1925-1952 in West Virginia.
- Geoffrey Mathewson: an American physicist and professor at Purdue University who made important contributions to superconducting in the early 20th century.
- John Mathewson: an American entrepreneur and inventor of the modern wind-up rubber band toys.
- Eric Mathewson: a Canadian professional ice hockey player who played in the Western Hockey League and the National Hockey League.
- Richard Mathewson: an American professional basketball player, who played with the New York Knicks.
- Marv Mathewson: a former professional football player who played with the Denver Broncos and Edmonton Eskimos in the Canadian Football League.
- Andrew Mathewson: a former professional football player who played in the NFL with the San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins.
- Kathy Mathewson: an American singer-songwriter, who is best known for her work in the folk music genre.
- Ernie Mathewson: a former Canadian Football League linebacker who played for the Saskatchewan Roughiders.