Surname McComish - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
McComish: What does the surname McComish mean?
The surname McComish is of Irish origin and is derived from the Gaelic name "Mac Thomáis" which means "son of Thomas". It is a patronymic name, implying that the initial bearer was a son of someone named Thomas. This surname is common in counties Antrim and Down in Northern Ireland where it was first established. Like many Irish surnames, it has several spellings variations including McComb, McCombe, McCombs, and MacComiskey, among others. The name Thomas itself is of biblical origin and means 'twin'. Thus, the surname McComish carries an intrinsic meaning related to familial ties and lineage.Order DNA origin analysis
McComish: Where does the name McComish come from?
The surname McComish is of Scottish origin. It is derived from a nickname used to distinguish a family member known as 'Thomas,' meaning the 'son of Thomas.' The name is most common in Scotland, particularly in Argyll and Bute, where they held a family seat from early times. It is believed to have been first bestowed upon an influential person holding a bishopric position, lending credence to its ecclesiastical connection.
During the great migration era, Scots travelled as far as North America and Australasia in search of better livelihoods, contributing to the dissemination of this surname. Today, variations of McComish, including McComish, McCombie, McComie, McComb, McCombe, and others, can be found around the world, with a significant presence in the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. However, Scotland remains the region with the highest concentration of people named McComish.
Variations of the surname McComish
The surname McComish likely has origins in Scotland or Ireland, where the prefixes "McC" and "Mc" denote a "son of". It is thought to be derived from the Gaelic surname MacThomáis, which translates to "Son of Thomas."
Variants may include: McComas, MacComas, McComus, McCammish, McCombie, McComsey, McComisky, McComic, McComick, McComber, and McCammish. Other versions may be written without the "McC" or "Mc" prefix, such as Comish, or Comas.
The spelling of the surname can also be influenced by phonetic translations and regional dialects, particularly for those whose families emigrated, leading to a wide range of possible spellings.
One should note that while these names could be related due to the similarity in pronunciation and spelling, it's not a guarantee. Genealogical research or a professional genealogist can provide more accurate and personalized information regarding the origins and variations of the surname McComish.
Famous people with the name McComish
- Hugh McComish: Manager of the Hamilton Street Railway Company and former Chairman of the Ontario Hydro Commission.
- Dale McComish: American professional poker player.
- Maryanne McComish: Television host, author, motivational speaker, and endurance athlete.
- Walter McComish: Former Irish chess and problemist.
- Sandy McComish: Scottish Formula One racing driver who competed in the 1966 Australian Grand Prix.
- Christopher McComish: Professional rugby union player who represented Scotland in international tests between 2003 and 2007.
- Stuart McComish: British sprint canoeist who competed in the late 1950s and early 1960s.
- Adam McComish: Former American football player for Vanderbilt University.
- Jimmy McComish: Cartoonist and credited as the creator of the comic strip Broom-Hilda.
- John McComish: Canadian politician who served as a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 1943 to 1945.