Surname McNees - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'M'
McNees: What does the surname McNees mean?
The last name McNees is a surname of Scottish and Irish origin. It is derived from the Scot's Gaelic M'Naghten, meaning "descendant of Naghtan", an ancient first name derived from the Latin natio, meaning "clan" or "people".
This surname has several variant spellings, including McNie, MacNee, and McNeese. All of these forms likely developed independently from the original spelling, but have the same roots - they are all variations of the same name. It is believed the original McNees family were hereditary clansmen of Clan MacNaghten, a family of ancient Scottish Highlands.
McNees is most commonly found in the northern part of Scotland, primarily in counties like Aberdeenshire. It is also found in some parts of Ireland, particularly in areas around County Down and County Antrim.
The McNees are thought to be a proud and hardworking people. Historically, many Scottish-Irish people emigrated to the United States, and even today you can find a number of McNees families living in major cities.
In recent years, more and more people have begun researching their family histories, with many tracing their McNees ancestry back to the original clansmen of Scotland. Whether you are researching your own family history, or simply curious about the meaning of this interesting surname, the surname McNees carries with it a legacy of hard work and dedication that will be remembered for generations to come.
McNees: Where does the name McNees come from?
The last name McNees can be found in many countries today. It is commonly found in North America, particularly in Scotland, Canada, the United States, and even Australia.
In Scotland, McNees is a relatively common last name, and is believed to have originated in the town of Ayr. The majority of those with the name McNees in Scotland today are descendants of one of three families – those from Ayrshire, Fife and Perthshire.
In Canada, the McNees last name is most common around Ontario and Quebec, stemming from Scottish immigrants who settled in these provinces in the late 1800s. Many of these immigrants were of Irish origin and carried the McNees surname to Canada when they emigrated.
In the United States, states with the highest population of McNees-named individuals include Pennsylvania, Texas and Michigan. This is likely due to the large Scottish population in these states.
Finally, in Australia, the McNees last name is also popular, with a large population of McNees-named individuals residing in the state of Victoria. This is due to a massive influx of Scottish immigrants to the state in the 1800s.
Overall, the McNees last name is still common today in countries with large Scottish populations such as Scotland, Canada, the United States and Australia.
Variations of the surname McNees
McNees is the Anglicised form of the Gaelic surnames Mac an Fhiodh and Mac an Aodan. These names were used to distinguish families from the same clan or area, with the prefix ‘Mac’ meaning ‘son of’. Variants of the surname include McNice, McNece, McNease, McNeese, McNease, MacNeice, and MacNiece.
The surname is extremely common in Scotland, particularly in Lanarkshire, where it is the most popular name in terms of numbers. Additionally, it is popular in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, including in County Tyrone and County Donegal.
The name is also found in the USA, where it is more commonly spelt McNiese or MacNees. In Pennsylvania, it is particularly common, as it is thought to have been brought to the state by Scottish settlers.
Other common spellings of the surname include McNish, MacNish, MacNaysh, MacNes, McNiss, and McNise. These variants are found in Australia, Canada, and other countries.
Some other names that are related to McNees include MacNesse, McInnes, MacFhiodh (or the obsolete MacFleis), MacNachton, MacNisee, MacNeece, MacNeise, and MacNecher. These are all derived from the same Gaelic roots.
Some variants of the name have become completely anglicised, such as MacNeish, MacNiece, MacNeig, MacNiecey, and MacNeany. It is not uncommon for similar sounding surnames to be confused, which can lead to spelling variations over time.
Famous people with the name McNees
- Scott McNees:Scott McNees is a Veteran Professional Mixed Martial Arts(MMA) fighter who has competed most notably in Extreme Challenge and the International Fight League. 2.Victoria McNees: Victoria is an interior designer from Texas and owner of the multi-million dollar consulting company 12,000 Miles Design. Her portfolio includes award-winning designs featured in magazines like Elle Decor and Architectural Digest.
- Sara McNees: Sara McNees is an American journalist and writer best known for appearing on Oprah's Lifeclass, E!’s Talk Soup and NPR’s Wait Wait… Don't Tell Me!
- David McNees: David McNees is an American politician and is a Democratic member of the Montana Senate, representing District 22 since January 2013.
- Ryan McNees: Ryan McNees is an American film director, producer known for his work on features like Critical Thinking, Silent Souls and Rampage.
- Martin McNees: Martin McNees is an American actor, best known for his roles in films including Reason to Believe, Troublemaker and Disturbia.
- Matt McNees: Matt McNees is an American actor, writer and director. He is best known for his appearances on Law & Order and his films C.R.A.Z.Y and 40 Below and Falling.
- Jimmy McNees: Jimmy McNees is an American country singer-songwriter, most known for his hit single “The Radio Cried”.
- Margaret McNees: Margaret McNees is an American businesswoman and CEO of Inspirit Realty, a real estate brokerage services company.
- Tom McNees: Tom McNees is an American artist and mixed media painter based in Montana. His work has been featured in The New York Times, American Art Collector Magazine and other publications.